280 Upgrade by MCR

Kevin Cram

Here's a upgraded factory rifle that went through its paces with one of my accuracy packages. This rifle was all original and the best it wanted to do was a little over 1" @ 100 yds. I gave it a fresh true crown, lapped the lugs, tweaked the trigger, loc-tited the bases and lapped the rings. I also put it in a B&C thumb hole stock and pillar bedded it. With the same load that would only shoot 1" @ 100 yds. now shoots 1/2" - 5/8" groups. This was a pretty inexpensive way to get a semi custom rifle that shoots much better than factory.

Hope you enjoy!!

KurtSmith2801.jpg

KurtSmith2802.jpg

KurtSmith2803.jpg

KurtSmith2804.jpg

Great work. Kevin accurized my son's Weatherby 243. With premium factory ammo I shot a little under a half inch group.

I can't wait to see pictures on this site of my twin Sendero's that Kevin are accurizing, installing CSR brakes, Gre-tan fire controls, Badger bolt handles and adding Jewell triggers.

Kevin, I have a question, I hope you don't mind.

What is the difference in advantages of glass bedding an action over pillar bedding? Can both be done? Or is both not necessary?

Sorry it took me a few days to reply, I just got back from a hunting trip. Pillar bedding is definitely the better way to go. The pillars I use I make here at MCR out of 6061 aluminum. This gives the action a solid place to sit on on 2 points with a non-compressible surface to tighten the guard screws to. The action is then bedded to create a mold of the action in a stress free hold. This marries your action to the stock stress free so it can not move upon recoil. Just a full action bed as I call it is just bedding with no pillars. It's definitely better than no bedding at all but with a wood or fiberglass stock the stock material can be compressed at 60 in/lbs. This can create uneven stresses in the action and can change your point of impact especially in a wood stock as the humidity in the wood swells or contracts. With a stock such as a HS Precision with the aluminum bedding block I'm able to prep the stock so the bedding block can usually be used as pillars and then all the stock would need is a full action bed.
There's a little more detail work involved especially in preparation for bedding but hopefully this gives you a better understanding.

Great work. Kevin accurized my son's Weatherby 243. With premium factory ammo I shot a little under a half inch group.

I can't wait to see pictures on this site of my twin Sendero's that Kevin are accurizing, installing CSR brakes, Gre-tan fire controls, Badger bolt handles and adding Jewell triggers.

I cant wait for the pics of your rifles either? I have a Parts gun in the safe centered around a Sendero, that is waiting to go to Kevin, and I'm real interested in how yours are going to look.

Kevin where is the Moose report?

Jon

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.