280 AI Range Report

JD338

Guys,

I got my M700 in 280 AI back from the gunsmith. I had the action blueprinted and installed a Hart 24" #5 Flutted barrel 1-9 twist and Tubb recoil lug. For now I am using a Leupold VXIII 2.5x8 but will change to a VXIII 4.5x14.
Started load development with the 160 gr AccuBond and RL22. After 75 rounds, (50 fire forming) I have the following results:

60.0 grs RL22
GM210M
R-P Case
COL 3.495", .015" off the lands
3 shot groups of .295", 218"
moving up to 61.0 grs.

58.0 grs RL22
GM215M
R-P Case
COL 3.495"
3 shot group of .575" ( first 2 shots were .161")

59.0 grs RL22
GM215M
R-P Case
COL 3.495"
3 shot group of .510" (first and third shots measure .153")

moving up to 60.0 grs and 61.0 grs.

I am happy with the way this rifle is shooting, considering I am using R-P brass and I haven't squared up the primer pockets or turned the case necks. I may be pushing the limits of the 8x scope while trying to achive sub 1/4 MOA. My goal is to hit 3000 fps with the 160 gr AB. This would be a great long range deer, antelope, and caribou load that will buck the wind and take out the vitals from any angle.

If anyone is interested, I will keep you posted with future results.

Regards,

JD338

I'm interested.

Somewhere down the line I'm going to own a .280AI and all this load info will be helpful I"m sure.

I am happy to share my results, hope it will help you guys out in the future.
I am a Nosler fan so I will stick stick with the AccuBond. Once I get the 160 gr set, I will work up a load for the 140 gr.

BTW, my fire forming load was 140 gr Nosler BT with 57.0 grs of RL19 and a Fed GM210M primer. This is a proven load in my 280 Remington.
20 shot group was around 1.5" but I wasn't very serious about the group. I was pressed for time, wanted fire formed cases. I will shoot for group the next time I FF cases.

Regards,

JD338

DJ, would you mind telling what these types of improvements costs? Ballpark is good enough, I have no idea what we are talking about. Im assuming this included the AI conversion since you mentioned fire forming your cases.

Red Dog

red dog,

The cost was around $1000.00 for materials and labor. It was a little more than I expected but the results are well worth the investment.
I have settled on the 160 gr AB with 62.0 grs RL22.
Consistantly shoots in the .2's at 100 yds.

Regards,

JD338

H4831sc edges out RL22 in mine by a tiny bit. If you are the experimental type, try a ladder with that powder. It is the preferred propellant in both my 280AI and 6.5-06AI

sounds like your barrel is a good one, nice groups.

I am interested in seeing your results. I have a 280 AI also that I have just started testing with. So far I have tried IMR4350 with 140gr Ballistic tips. I did not like the results so I have moved on to IMR4831. There seems to be a big improvement but, it is early yet.

Seeing posts like this keep me in trouble. In the not so distant future, I want to have a "series" built on either the 308 or 30-06 case. In other words, either .243 AI, 260 AI and 708 AI or .25-06 AI, 6.5 AI and 280 AI. With the 308 cases, I have been toying with the idea of building a short range hog/brush gun to meet my hunting demands in East TX (and AK and Africa someday). I've been leaning towards a 9.3-08 or .375-08 for that purpose.

I don't know of any advantage the '06 family has over the 308-based rounds other than velocity and LA instead of SA. I want to set them all up identical, with the exception of the big-bore. It will be based on a 20-22" Model 7 clone, only better. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Anyone care to offer advantages/disadvantages to either class based on experience. About 75% of the gun's rounds would be shot at LR paper due to my schedule. They would all see some time afield, but that would be a secondary function.

JD, any new results to report. Am considering a similar project. I wonder how your rig would shoot the 162 gr. Amax or 175 gr SMK. Thanks in advance.

red dog,

I am a Nosler guy so I can't help you with the Hornady or Seirra bullets. My guess is that they would shoot fine.
I settled on a load for the 160 gr AB with 62.0 grs of RL22, R-P case, and Federal GM215M primers. This load consistantly shoots in the .2's with the smallest group measuring .218" center to center.
I plan on finding a load for the 140 gr AB. With 64.0 grs RL22, I am getting groups in the .6"-.7" range. I want to try RL19 and H4831sc to see if I can get smaller groups.
I did try the 120 gr BT just for grins and hit paydirt with the very first load I tryed! Using 62.0 grs of RL19, I had a 3 shot group of .277" @ 100 yds. The first 2 shots measured .100". The COL is 3.387". Keep in mind that the scope is a Leupold VXIII 2.5x8. I am planning on getting a 4.5x14 and am leaning towards the B&C reticle.
This is my first custom barreled rifle and I must say that I am very pleased with the accuracy I am getting. I would strongly urge you to look at Hart barrels. I was told that they are the most consistant and based on accuracy, it must be somewhat true. Cleaning is a snap. A few patched with Sweets and MC7 and I'm done.

As for velocity, I can't tell you because I do not own a chronograph. My smith told me that my 160 gr AB load should be right around 3000 fps but this is only a guess. I plan on getting a Oehler 35 by spring and will be able to post figures then.
Hope this helps you out.

Regards,

JD338

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.