280 AI load

pythonwill

I have just found a box of Hornady .284 162gr BTHP national match bullets in my cluttered shelving and wanted to try and load some up for the 280AI but cant find the bullets in the reloading book. could I just use any 162gr load or what? If It sounds like a silly question Its because im pretty new at reloading and would rather ask questions then blow up a gun. If you know any good loads for this let me know
and do you think that they would shoot well out of a 1:10 twist barrel?

Thanks

Will

Go to reloadersnest.com and look around.

I'm waiting on some vit. n-165 powder looks the best to me w/160 -162gr bullets.

Thanks for the replies guys. I also emailed Hornady and asked them for a load and here is the responce I got from them. Im not sure they will work for me with the 1-10" twist but im gonna try them anyway.

The Hornady #2840 7mm cal. 162 gr. National Match A-MAX bullets were discontinued some years ago. This 7mm bullet has a whopping .710 BC that makes this bullet extremely flat shooting. You will need at least a 1-in-8" twist to 1-in-8 1/2" twist to really stabilize it. I have shot them out of my 1-in-9" twist 1000 yd. match rifles and these bullets do not stabilize quite as good as our present #28402 162 gr.
A-MAX bullets with the red polymer tip that have a .625 BC. Be sure to check your .280 Ackley Imp. barrel twist to make sure that it is between 1-in-8" twist and 1-in-9" twist. I would recommend 52.0 grs. to 53.0 grs. of H-4350 or 55.0 grs. to 56.0 grs. of H-4831SC. Start at least 1.0 to 2.0 grs. below what I gave you. If you have any load data for the .280 Rem. Ackley Imp. cartridge using a 160 gr. or 162 gr. bullet, I would recommend that you back off at least 5% and work up carefully.

The best to you in reloading, shooting, & hunting!
Lonnie Hummel
Tech Services & Custom Die Sales

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.