280 AI die set help: redding type S or Custom dies

stanley52

Ok so I have a 280 AI on the way from score high, I have a redding type s 3 die set, bushing neck sizer, micrometer seater and body die. Lately I'm starting to prescribe to the whole FL resize every time. Should I sell these dies and send a fire formed case and have custom dies made or just keep the redding dies?

Last edited:
do you shoot F-class? I have a rifle built by score hi and use all redding dies. I am shooting bench rest type groups with them. I do full case prep, turn necks, deburr flash holes, ream primer pockets Ext... I am in the same boat as you about dies right now. If I get an F-class rifle built I will get full custom dies I think. As for my long range hunting I am going to stick with redding. Forester makes a Hybrid die that has neck bushings and shoulder bumps at the same time.

No I am not an F class guy, just LRH. I think I may just get the custom dies (cry once) do you know the backlog times for whidden by any chance? Guess I'll just call 'em tomorrow.

I would recommend keeping the Redding set. I have several (type S and comp bushing) and get very good results. I typically use the body die to bump shoulders on every reload, and remove the sizing button on the neck die. Concentricity and accuracy have been very good. I am thinking about going FL/Neck bushing for my next rifle as I am reading more about it and think it has merits. In the meantime the above works well for me.

If you are in competitions you may get some utility out of custom dies, but if you are doing load development for hunting you may end up crying twice (ordering custom dies and getting no obvious accuracy returns). At minimum give the Redding dies a go to see if they give acceptable results before you sell them off. My opinion only (obviously!)

I have a redding micrometer seater die, a redding neck sizer die and love them. I also have a lee set (full length sizer and regular seater). Not really impressed with the lee die's. I am sold on redding die's.

I just went from the redding standard 3 die set to the competition set and am very happy.

I only necksize my brass. Before I had the redding neck sizer I full length resized.
So far no issues and have been doing that for the last 4 years.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.