.280 AI Build

one crazy kid

Alright, this project has been a long time coming. I have been planning to build a .280 AI since it was recommended to me on this forum 6ish years ago. This build is intended to be a hunting rifle capable out to 6-800yds and will double as a range rifle capable out to 1,000+ yds. I am set on .280 AI for this build, there are lots of awesome cartridges out there and I hope to own or build many of them in the future. I don't really subscribe to the one rifle to do it all theory :D hehehe.

1) The action is coming off a savage 110 flat back side bolt release blind box magazine currently chambered in .30-06.

2) I plan to pillar and epoxy bed the stock when I settle on one, it will probably be a Boyds laminate pro varmint.

3) I am planning to use a 26" prefit barrel, I have not decided on a manufacturer as of yet. I am curious what people would recommend for brand, contour and twist rate. I plan on shooting bullets in the 160 gr. range and I'm shooting for the overall unloaded rifle weight to be between 10-12lbs.

4) I am currently planning on getting the SAAMI spec chamber as I will start out shooting .280 AI factory ammo and when I eventually am able to handload I am not overly concerned with the price of quality components (I'll pay a little extra to get SAAMI spec brass over fire forming my own). That being said I am not against fire forming, it just isn't the direction I am looking to go. Am I thinking about this correctly? or am I missing a link? Also, CBI lists their chamber as the .280 AI Match. is this the SAAMI spec chamber? or is it completely different?

5) Glass will most likely be Vortex, something from the Viper line with a 30mm tube and I plan on putting a 20 MOA rail on it. I also intend to use Dura-coat to finish the barreled action/components as I assemble everything.

6) Lastly, I am curious about muzzle breaks. I like the look of the blended or integral break vs. a threaded break. If I got a barrel with an integral break would it be prudent to get a 28" barrel to maintain the 26" muzzle velocity?

I took some time digging around the forum via the search function but couldn't locate the information that I was looking for. If any of these questions have been beat to death in a different thread I would appreciated being pointed in that direction. Any and all tips/suggestions are welcome.

Respectfully,

Andrew

First off, let me say you have picked an excellent cartridge and you have a good mindset and plan of action.

To answer some of your questions, Criterion would be a great choice for your barrel. I would order it through Northland Shooter Supply. They're a great company to deal with. I would also call them and ask about your question regarding the .280 Ackley Match chamber. For twist rate, I would do 1-8 or 1-8.5 just incase you ever plan to run 175-184 grain bullets. I would go with a light Varmint contour barrel finished at 26". If you want a blended muzzlebrake, then order a 26" barrel with an blended brake from NSS. The brake will make the overall length of the barrel 28" or so, but the actual barrel will still be 26" and the brake just adds length, but can be unthreaded if you choose to do so.

Jud96,

Thank you for the input and the clarification on the muzzle break/barrel length, I have been looking at CBI barrels from NSS and I like what I see. I'll have to give them a call regarding the Match designation on the chamber.

The owner of NSS is a really nice guy and have answered a few questions for me every time I gave them a call. Good luck on the build and keep us updated.

The owner of NSS is a really nice guy and have answered a few questions for me every time I gave them a call. Good luck on the build and keep us updated.
Please let me know what he says. I will also be buying the cbi in that chambering from NSS.

OK, 40* shoulder,,, that's normal for an Ackley. Every "Ackley" chambering I've ever known of uses a 40* shoulder. But, what about the "Match" part in the description? Does that mean there's something different about the throat that is not SAAMI spec?

Alright, this project has been a long time coming. I have been planning to build a .280 AI since it was recommended to me on this forum 6ish years ago. This build is intended to be a hunting rifle capable out to 6-800yds and will double as a range rifle capable out to 1,000+ yds. I am set on .280 AI for this build, there are lots of awesome cartridges out there and I hope to own or build many of them in the future. I don't really subscribe to the one rifle to do it all theory :D hehehe.

1) The action is coming off a savage 110 flat back side bolt release blind box magazine currently chambered in .30-06.

2) I plan to pillar and epoxy bed the stock when I settle on one, it will probably be a Boyds laminate pro varmint.

3) I am planning to use a 26" prefit barrel, I have not decided on a manufacturer as of yet. I am curious what people would recommend for brand, contour and twist rate. I plan on shooting bullets in the 160 gr. range and I'm shooting for the overall unloaded rifle weight to be between 10-12lbs.

4) I am currently planning on getting the SAAMI spec chamber as I will start out shooting .280 AI factory ammo and when I eventually am able to handload I am not overly concerned with the price of quality components (I'll pay a little extra to get SAAMI spec brass over fire forming my own). That being said I am not against fire forming, it just isn't the direction I am looking to go. Am I thinking about this correctly? or am I missing a link? Also, CBI lists their chamber as the .280 AI Match. is this the SAAMI spec chamber? or is it completely different?

5) Glass will most likely be Vortex, something from the Viper line with a 30mm tube and I plan on putting a 20 MOA rail on it. I also intend to use Dura-coat to finish the barreled action/components as I assemble everything.

6) Lastly, I am curious about muzzle breaks. I like the look of the blended or integral break vs. a threaded break. If I got a barrel with an integral break would it be prudent to get a 28" barrel to maintain the 26" muzzle velocity?

I took some time digging around the forum via the search function but couldn't locate the information that I was looking for. If any of these questions have been beat to death in a different thread I would appreciated being pointed in that direction. Any and all tips/suggestions are welcome.

Respectfully,

Andrew
Very good plan, have wanted to build one myself. Have had good luck with many "flat back" rebarrels.
You didn't mention trigger, depending on your budget I would recommend the rifle basics sav-2. There has been good reports also about the new Jard (spendy).
The only thing I would suggest is to get into reloading right away. Two reasons;
1. the factory ammo more than likely will not be a perfect scenario for your barrel.
600 - 800 & 1000 yard performance most likely won't be that of quality handloaded stuff that is "tuned" to your barrel.
2. Fireforming brass to match your chamber will accomplish a couple of things; 1. Break in your barrel as most barrels usually "speed" up for 100-150 rounds. 2. Preliminary seating testing can be complete before serious load development begins.
Fireforming a good supply (200 or more) of quality brass a minimum of 2 times might be enough to last the useful life of the barrel.

Also a removable break will definitely make cleaning easier.

The saami "match" with the minimum tolerance specs is a good choice providing your dies are compatible because of the improved brass life you should get.

Keep us posted on the progress.
My .02,
Randy

I have a CBI 24in light varmint in 280ai "match" 9 twist on a Savage round receiver. When I inquired about it they told me the throat was longer. I can't comment one way or the other because I've never messed with any other 280s. I think you'll be really happy with it. Mine shoots lights out...at least I think so.
NSS is really good to deal with...they'll treat you right.
Good luck with your build!
Scooter

I just finished my former 7mm mag into a 280AI. A very nice decision for once in my life. So far during load development it is showing itself to be far more accurate than I imagined.
The target distance was at 200 yards. This is without final seating depth tests.
So far your choice sounds good with components.
I had a smith do all the machine work. He gave me an excellent rifle.

Attachments

• 20190913_100116.jpg
    20190913_100116.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 318
I built one on a free Savage 110 in 30-06. I went with a Kreiger 1:10 with a custom contour at 26". McMillam Game Scout and before assembly the parts I had it all Cerakoted in GI green. Bolt and all controls in black. Leupold 3-18X40. I shoot 160AB's right at 3000 FPS. I kind of wish I'd gone littler on the profile for carrying but for shooting it's great. Everything is a trade off. It kills deer too!

Very good plan, have wanted to build one myself. Have had good luck with many "flat back" rebarrels.
You didn't mention trigger, depending on your budget I would recommend the rifle basics sav-2. There has been good reports also about the new Jard (spendy).
The only thing I would suggest is to get into reloading right away. Two reasons;
1. the factory ammo more than likely will not be a perfect scenario for your barrel.
600 - 800 & 1000 yard performance most likely won't be that of quality handloaded stuff that is "tuned" to your barrel.
2. Fireforming brass to match your chamber will accomplish a couple of things; 1. Break in your barrel as most barrels usually "speed" up for 100-150 rounds. 2. Preliminary seating testing can be complete before serious load development begins.
Fireforming a good supply (200 or more) of quality brass a minimum of 2 times might be enough to last the useful life of the barrel.

Also a removable break will definitely make cleaning easier.

The saami "match" with the minimum tolerance specs is a good choice providing your dies are compatible because of the improved brass life you should get.

Keep us posted on the progress.
My .02,
Randy

Randy,

The reason why I do not currently handload is space, living in a two bedroom apartment with my wife and child is a little cramped. We are here because I am a full time student preparing to commission into the USAR. I am not sure which state we will end up in or how long it will take us to get settled. I do intent to begin handloading ASAP, I just can't afford to purchase and store all the equipment prior to our move out of this crazy town to a larger space with room for a multipurpose bench. Unfortunately, that looks to be about 18 months out. I did forget to touch on the trigger, I like your suggestion of the rifle basic sav-2 and I'll probably add it to my components list.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.