280 AI build questions

I have a pretty new Weatherby Vanguard in 270 win. I picked it up when Gander Mountain shut the doors. I think I picked it up when it was like 35% off or something.

I've never really got into it. I've maybe put a could of boxes through it. I really like my .30 cals and my magnums. I'd like to turn this 270 win into a 280 AI. I'd like to take it next year out west for antelope and use it for whitetail here in Michigan. Maybe elk and mule deer out west in the future. A couple of questions:

- What barrel length should I go with? I was thinking 24 or 26". Leaning towards 26".

- Barrel contour wise, I was thinking of something like a standard magnum contour with some flutes. Thoughts?

- What twist rate should I go with?

- My last project was a old turk Mauser turned into a 450 BM. I don't have a lathe so I used a drop in with (remange?? I think it's called that) with that savage nut system. In the name of accuracy am I better off sending it to some one like Hart to have them rebarrel it?

- I currently shoot a braked .30-06 and enjoy that. Any muzzle brake references?

- I'm new to reloading but had safe and great results reloading my .30-06. Any complications from a newbie reloaded perspective. Outside components any other concerns?

Thanks

Only thing I'd change is to an 8 tw. Your altitude and temps at home may benefit from it with heavy bullets.
I can understand that.
But for me, if I were going to shoot a 180 or heavier, I would go a bit more case capacity. 7RM, 7STW, 28 Nosler, etc. I am sure they work well in a .280AI though.
I run the 175 Berger Elite in my 26" 1:9" .280AI @ 2976fps with amazing accuracy and hits elk and deer like a Mack truck. Holds great accuracy out to 1500, from 1600' to 8000'+ AMSL. Can't ask for more from it.

Last edited:
I can understand that.
But for me, if I were going to shoot a 180 or heavier, I would go a bit more case capacity. 7RM, 7STW, 28 Nosler, etc.
I run the 175 Berger Elite in my 26" 1:9" .280AI @ 2976fps with amazing accuracy and hits elk and deer like a Mack truck. Holds great accuracy out to 1500, from 1600' to 8000'+ AMSL. Can't ask for more from it.
Great point!

Get it rebored and rechambered to 280 AI. Far cheaper than a new bbl. Howa barrels are good.
How much does it cost to rebore/rifle a factory barrel?
Is it worth the savings vs just buying a $350 new custom barrel? Chambering would be the same cost.
How is accuracy with a rebored/re-rifled barrel? Worth the cost and effort?

I would do a 1-9 twist, 24 inch barrel, apa micro, send in a dummy round and have it chambered for whichever 160-175 grain bullet that you want. That way it fits the mag the way you want and seated properly. Contour I would do either a 3b or a Douglas 4.

Normally about $250. You're getting a destressed barrel from a known maker.

Not sure $350 would buy you the same quality.

buy you a brux, bartlein or benchmark barrel number 3 0r 4 contour finish it at 24, 25, or 26 your choice replace trigger and bed action and you should have one heck of a nice rifle I would not spend the money on a rebore at best you may save 100 dollars over a custom You may contact southern precision rifles at bugholes.com I bet they would have a barrel in stock and could do the work for you they also do fluting if you choose

Last edited:
buy you a brux, bartlein or benchmark barrel number 3 0r 4 contour finish it at 24, 25, or 26 your choice replace trigger and bed action and you should have one heck of a nice rifle I would not spend the money on a rebore at best you may save 100 dollars over a custom You may contact southern precision rifles at bugholes.com I bet they would have a barrel in stock and could do the work for you they also do fluting if you choose
Solid information

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.