280 ackley suggestions

Well i already ordered it but honestly er shaw may have been good enough for me, im not a benchrest shooter so im not concerned with having the best barrel on the market really. And i just wanted a prefit, i figure thats the good thing about savages, theyre like a poor mans tc dimension not that i will be using it as one i just wanted to do whats easy since it is my first build. Ive read really good things about pac nor. And theyre making me a stainless top grade prefit for $435 in the chamber i wanted (280 ackley nosler version) so i didnt think that was too bad considering i couldnt find hardly anything bad about pac nor. Also the wait doesnt bother me, i plan on putting it all together with tax money...id hate to have a barrel sitting here on christmas and only having enough money to look at it lol

And i really did try to find something bad about them but my search was pretty well a waste

Can't go wrong with a Pac-Nor, I've got a 338 ultra, an 7mm rem mag chambered in them. They shoot lights out, can't say one bad thing about them. Also there are many other great barrel makers out there, Lilga,Hart,Bruoghton, an many others that slip my mind right now. Not just two. Just my 2cts.

DT

Yes Pac makes a fine barrel not disputing that. I was just trying to save him from a 16 week wait, when he can get every bit as good, many would argue better, right now. That is all. Seeing that he does not mind waiting and wants it pre-chambered, then it is a mute point.

Yes Pac makes a fine barrel not disputing that. I was just trying to save him from a 16 week wait, when he can get every bit as good, many would argue better, right now. That is all. Seeing that he does not mind waiting and wants it pre-chambered, then it is a mute point.

Point Made! All of them are good. If the OP has his mind made up, I'm on his side.

DT

Have you guys seen the Mcgowen Savage Prefits?

280AI and you can have it in a week. Mine is the original AI, although I think the prefits are now Nosler AI.

McGowen Prefit Savage Barrels - 1 Week Delivery!

I bought one and it shoots really great. I am shooting Barnes 140 TTX at 3190fps into really great groups. I am loading 58.5 grains of H4350 at 3.250 OAL.

Norma 280 brass is great, Lapua 3006 brass works great too. I have found good brass makes a huge difference in group size.

Nosler brass doesn't hold up well at all. Primer pockets can't take the pressure like Norma or Lapau.

I also had Mcgowen make me a 270Win prefit. It shoots great too.

Just an update, pacnor emailed me and my barrel should be here in the next few days!!! I ordered it october 24th, and they said it will probably be 18 weeks but its already done so it only took 10 weeks!!!! Woohoo i just got in my stock today, cant see it till christmas tho (its a christmas present from my fiance) i picked it out tho, its a boyds pro varmint (use to be called tacticool) but i got it in salt and pepper laminate. I like the thumb hole stocks but it seems like everyone has one so i wanted something a little different. My barrel and bolt handle is stainless but the scope and action are black so i thought the salt and pepper stock would tie in the black and stainless together nicely. I will post pics once its put together. I will also update once i start load development. I plan on nosler brass and berger 168 vlds (bullet should be a good target/hunting combo. Idk ive never used beger bullets before but since im going from 30 cal to 7mm i may as well maximize my bc. I dont have any dies yet tho but i do have a good start with powder, got a pound of re-22 and a pound of imr sc 7828 so hopefully within a month or so i will get everything going and see what my investment has got me. Thanks for all the help!

Your are gonna love that rifle. I built my 280AI with a PacNor 3 groove 9 twist 26 inches long, #6 contour. Running right around 3000fps with Berger 168 VLDs. Savage action in a Boyd's Tacticool stock.

This might be like a sneak peek into your future...

What trigger are you using?

Attachments

• Completion! 001.JPG
    Completion! 001.JPG
    153.5 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Wow that is a nice rifle! gives me even more motivation! The only difference in our guns is mine is a 5 groove barrel. What kind of accuracy are you getting? And what powder are you using?

Load development showed as close as 0.338" and the worst was 0.911" at 100 yards, with the average of ALL the load development groups coming in at 0.6278". I am using Retumbo, CCI BR2, and Nosler brass. From first shot breaking in the barrel to about 250 rounds down the pipe the velocity did increase some, and my final load spec is now 63.5gr in partial resized brass (only .002" setback) and is showing 3024 on my chrono, and grouped 2.872" at 300 yards on a very cold and windy day (I was shivering pretty badly). I do expect trajectory validation to bring that vel number down to something just at or slightly above 3000, based on my experience with my other rifles. I shot this baby out to 1045 already, but that was before the final load was settled. I had no trouble smacking a 1.5 moa target repeatedly at that distance. I use the SAV2 trigger from RifleBasix, which is pretty easy to adjust in all aspects. The brake is JP Industries, and is timed with a jam nut. Did I mention I built this myself? I did not catch if you were doing your rifle yourself or having someone build it for you. My other savage was rebarreled by EABCO and restocked by a local smith. I love them both, but this one just a "little" more...

That is just awesome, really it is. Im not doing it my self, i have a friend who is the best smith within about a hundred miles of me. Im sure i could headspace it, i know savage makes it pretty easy with the nut and go & no go gauges and also i could probably bed it myself, theres tons of videos on youtube but idk i dont feel 100% confident putting it together so i'll just take it to my friend and be done with it lol that accuracy sounds promising, and ive always liked brakes, i know many people hate them but ive had them before and they work. I dont plan on putting one on this thing but im not opposed to going that route later down the road if i come across some money and cant find anything better to spend it on lol

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.