28 Nosler 180 h1000 seating depth test 300 yards

Mram10us

8553915E-F552-414B-B18F-050C8E238BAE.jpeg
I have a ton of 180elds and h1000 so I was bound and determined to get them to shoot. Dumb me. I know better than to keep trying a load when it doesn't show signs of being accurate right out of the gate. Here are some 4 shot groups at 300 with differing seating depths. I'll probably forget this combo and try another powder. Advice welcome

Last edited:
Loaded up a ladder with some r33 and the 180s. If this ladder doesnt work, Ill scrap and go right to 180vld or 195eol.

I was unable to get the 180eldm to work in my 7rm
180hybrid is working well.
The top shot was at 35moa and 1335yds, adjusted down to 34.75moa and shot the next two at 1335 with the hybrids. Plate is 18"
79725C67-ED09-4718-AA4A-E6AC12D8007D.jpeg

Eldm. About to give up. Berger have always shot for me. Don't know why I always try other stuff

I must have missed your powder testing? I can't guarantee that bullet will shoot in your rifle but I can almost guarantee you skipped over a seating depth node going .040 at a time. I have NEVER needed to do the "Berger seating depth test". I test at the lands, -010,-020,-030,-040. I test .005 on either side of the most accurate. Some times .005 is too much if you really want the most accurate. Aside from less than 5 rifles I have developed loads for with mag restrictions out the the 60ish I have tuned only ONE has not been within .040 off the lands and that was my 300 PRC at .060 off.

I just went through the same exercise with a new custom 30 nosler.

I tried ever seating depth and powder charge with the fed TLR I could knowing deep down it will continue to throw fliers.
.I loaded up three charge weights pulled from my rear with 215 bergers at -030 and all shot great with one repeaditly an average of 1 inch at 300 yards.

Bang head on wall here....

RF,
Did powder test a month ago to get a rough node. Didn't video it though. Nice node at 78.4 h1000 but seating depth test didn't help. Those groups were horrible! I would try smaller jumps but one of those should have been decent. 162 and 168s are great out of it but want a bit more weight

I built a 7-300wm last year and couldn't find a good load for the 180eld out of it either. Hit and miss.

View attachment 156531 I have a ton of 180elds and h1000 so I was bound and determined to get them to shoot. Dumb me. I know better than to keep trying a load when it doesn't show signs of being accurate right out of the gate. Here are some 4 shot groups at 300 with differing seating depths. I'll probably forget this combo and try another powder. Advice welcome
Curious if you recorded muzzle speeds, as there seems to be quite a bit of vertical scattering. At least that bit of info would help narrow your search.

View attachment 156531 I have a ton of 180elds and h1000 so I was bound and determined to get them to shoot. Dumb me. I know better than to keep trying a load when it doesn't show signs of being accurate right out of the gate. Here are some 4 shot groups at 300 with differing seating depths. I'll probably forget this combo and try another powder. Advice welcome
Your 3.48 coal is looking promising... you are sub moa....try a few more and maybe try a little lower 3.46?...

If it's a hunting rifle, I'd stay away from Reloder 33, way too temp sensitive from what I saw in my 28. You're better off giving up some speed and using a more stable powder.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.