28 Nosler - 1:9 Tw?

Muddyboots

A buddy of mine is getting into reloading (good luck!) and he just bought a Christensen Mesa Long Range but it is in 1:9 twist. Is this normal for the 28N? He is looking for bullets so I was helping him to select and when I saw the twist, a lot of heavier mono's are off the table from twist. So he is leaning towards the 175ABLR, what else is out there in 160-180 that he might try? I suggested Bergers 168-180's, Bulldozers 150-160, Barnes 150, Hornady 162 and 175 ELDX, Nosler 150 AB,ABLR-175, Hammer 146HH, the 155HH might work at altitude but I don't think is going to be hunting high for now.

Anything else that he might get his hands on? Gotta tell you I was surprised to see 1:9, thought for sure it would have been 1:8.

1657559840543.png

My 28's are 8 and 8.5 twist. The 195 Berger shoots well in both. Berger 180 hybrids shoot well. Berget 180 VLDH too. 175 ABLR have been very finicky to get shooting well in both rifles, 1-1.25" at 100 is about all I have gotten out of them in rifles that shoot other bullets way tighter with way less development. 160 Accubond should be awesome in 28, I have been looking for some for almost 2 years, I think it would be hard to beat 500 and in. All of the ELD lines will likely shoot very well, they have for me. Nosler RDF shoot well too for a paper and steel load.

Thx guys! I will show him these. I told him to try to find 150AB or 160AB but told him they are unicorns. Hammers are available is plus. Bergers tough to find but I may have found some 168's which would be great but will see.

I am REALLY afraid once I shoot his, I will be in trouble!!😂

OK, just talked to him and he found some Speer 160gr Hot Cor. Anybody shoot these? I've had good luck with other Hot Cor's and seem to be tough bullet and maybe good for this speed?

Yeah my buddies is a 1-9 also. Really limits you in my opinion.
How does it limit you? Just looked on a box of 195 EOL's... minimum twist - 1:9. ... and those numbers are not generated in a 28 nosler. Almost every bullet made that claims a minimum 8 twist can run in a 28 nosler on a 9 twist due to its velocity, and not to some marginal degree either. As in, it will work just fine.

How does it limit you? Just looked on a box of 195 EOL's... minimum twist - 1:9. ... and those numbers are not generated in a 28 nosler. Almost every bullet made that claims a minimum 8 twist can run in a 28 nosler on a 9 twist due to its velocity, and not to some marginal degree either. As in, it will work just fine.
I would have at least went with a 1-8 that way when I can't find lead core bullets I can always find copper bullets.

I would have at least went with a 1-8 that way when I can't find lead core bullets I can always find copper bullets.
The 1-9 will be fine if you want a heavy bullet just shoot the heaviest Hammer bullet recommended for that twist with a lot of vel gain lighter mono versus a heavy lead core . I doubt there is anything on the North American Continent that it wouldn't kill D.R.T. , I use too load the 7 Rem mag with 160 gr Nosler Partitions shot out of a 16 " Barrel Sako Finnbear for my boss too kill Polar bears . The short barrel was so it was easier too handle getting out of the cock pit when they landed on a ice cap .

Current trend is to over twist stuff. As some have said…you can run just about anything in the 28 Nosler and a 1:9 twist….I'm sure there is a long heavy mono out there that would struggle but that would be the only thing. Get Berger 195 EOL's or 180 hybrids…he will be pleased with either of those.

Just saw he got HotCors…my experience is their BC isn't great but they are a tough bullet that perform like an accubond but lead tipped. Those will sure enough be fast 😜

I have a 28 nosler with a 26" barrel and I run 195 Berger's and I have a 9 twist. Sits in a McMillan game Hunter stock with a atlas bipod jewel 2 ounce trigger topped with a 20 mos base and a sightron 8-32x56 tac series scope. Gun shoots very well. Best powders for my gun was RL 33 and N570. Run ADG brass. So far one shot one kill with the rifle. I use a Hart barrel which was fluted and has a muzzle break. The only worry that I have is barrel burner. Don't shoot it much at all but it was put together for one reason hunt. I check my zero every year and verify it out to 1000yds. Hasn't left me down yet and bucks the wind well.

Recent Posts