270WSM vs 7WSM

284stak

An archery friend of mine is wanting to add rifle hunting to his list of hunting pursuits here in Utah. He is planning on purchasing a Savage and has narrowed his choice to the 270WSM or the 7WSM. His plans are to use the rifle for mule deer and elk with the emphasis on deer. I told him to go with the 7 for the following reasons - bullet selection and increased energy if he starts shooting past 500 yds --- he is leaning towards the 270 as he feels the 130 or 140 accubonds will cover all his needs (which is very likely true). He has not shot long range ever - but if he gets the bug like the rest of us - I think he would be happier with the 7 ---- what are some of your thoughts.

defiantly the 7, just had RW Hart build me a sweet model 700. to cold to test it. I just finally got a mark 4 6.5x 20 on her. I will report more on it after testing.

The 7WSM is better. In fact I started with a 270WSM and am now building a 7WSM.

I own a .270wsm in winchester mod 70 with a pre 64 action. It is a very accurate gun. I shoot the 130 gr nosler bullets out of it and have shot steel out to 1100 yds with it. Last year I shot my deer at 788 with it, after about a 30 yard death march it went down and did not get back up. I think that It is a good gun to use and would recomend it to anyone that is looking into it.

An archery friend of mine is wanting to add rifle hunting to his list of hunting pursuits here in Utah. He is planning on purchasing a Savage and has narrowed his choice to the 270WSM or the 7WSM. His plans are to use the rifle for mule deer and elk with the emphasis on deer. I told him to go with the 7 for the following reasons - bullet selection and increased energy if he starts shooting past 500 yds --- he is leaning towards the 270 as he feels the 130 or 140 accubonds will cover all his needs (which is very likely true). He has not shot long range ever - but if he gets the bug like the rest of us - I think he would be happier with the 7 ---- what are some of your thoughts.

Depends. If I was to get a bug for one of these I would get the 7 due to better bullets & more long range potential. If he really gets into LRH the 7 is better, but will he? If not the 270 would be fine & if he does not reload it could be better, as the 7 ammo is not as readily aval.

For most hunters the 140 Accubond is a great choice in the 270WSM The BC is .496 & I found it to be VERY accurate in my 270. A 270WSM with the 140Acc. @ about 3,200 is good to go for alot more than 500 yards.

For the reloader with the best bullets the 7 will pull ahead, so again, DEPENDS.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.