270wsm vs 7mm wsm vs 7mm ultramag

If it were me and I was building one I would put a 7mm wsm on a long action and have it throated .100" deeper that will give you almost a 3.1" OAL very good for 150-168 grn bullets through a 9.5 twist. I think a 7mm RUM is to much of a barrel smoker!.

If its strictly a hunting rifle then you wont be shooting enough to worry about burning out a barrel. The 7RUM outshoots the others no comparison. If you dont like recoil and dont want a break then stick with the 7wsm.

If you build a custom to take advantage of the best bullets in each cal the 270 and 7mm WSM are twins, you can make either one better, I chose the 270WSM. The 7 RUM will do better than the other two just by the fact your burning a pile of more of powder, IMO the only way to go with the 7mmRUM is to have it barreled for the 200gr Wildcat, then your getting something out of all that powder burning!!!

if it were me, I'd take a very serious look at the 7mm Rem. Short mag. It's about a hundred feet persecond slower than the 7WSM, but the case design leads to much better accuracey and barrel life. Another one to look at is the 7mm Rem. mag improved or better yet the 7mm Weatherby mag. The Weatherby will work in your action length and has a very good neck and shoulder design allowing it to handle big heavy bullets better
gary

if it were me, I'd take a very serious look at the 7mm Rem. Short mag. It's about a hundred feet persecond slower than the 7WSM, but the case design leads to much better accuracey and barrel life. Another one to look at is the 7mm Rem. mag improved or better yet the 7mm Weatherby mag. The Weatherby will work in your action length and has a very good neck and shoulder design allowing it to handle big heavy bullets better
gary

There are a lot more wsm shooters than saum..so saying they are better for barrel life and accuracy would be up in the air as far as I am concerned. I don't put a whole lot of extra time in what other people say about brass design, if that were true magnums should never shoot, specially with that nasty belt. Furthermore a 7 Rem mag handles heavy bullets just fine..

What's wrong with the standard 7mm rem mag firing a 160 grain accubond or 168 grain Berger at around 3000 fps is good. If I had to go with one you choose it would have to be the 7mm WSM only due to the fact I love the WSM rounds. The 7mm ultra mag is impressive but I would jump up and fire the 300. Win mag or ultra mag at that point.

If only a choice of 270wsm vs 7mm wsm vs 7mm ultramag, and elk is the quarry, I would opt for the ultramag. Elk are big, and bullet placement on elk isn't always perfect, so the extra power helps — some. For the other game, an ultramag is a bit much. Too much cost, barrel erosion, muzzle-blast & recoil for most to be comfortable with.

Between the .270 wsm & 7mm wsm, I would opt for the .270 only because the 7mm wsm has been dropped by Winchester and factory ammunition may be less available in a few years. Otherwise the differences are negligible.

A .270 wsm is a great all-round cartridge that will take any of these animals but I think you posed the wrong question. The right question in my mind would have been, "Do I choose one of these or jump to .30 cal?". If that question was posed, I would strongly recommend jumping to .300 Weatherby or .30 wsm because both handle heavier bullets than the .277 or .284 cartridges, and heavier bullets are a real advantage when the perfect shot doesn't present itself, or you don't succeed in making the perfect shot.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.