.270wsm or 7mmwsm

Ballistically they are so close to each other there isn't enough of a difference to matter. The 7 MM has more choices in bullets for reloading, while the .270 is much easier to find factory-loaded shells for. If you are a serious reloader who will want to try 45 different combinations of components, go 7 MM. If you don't need 312 choices for bullets, then the availability of factory ammunition probably puts the .270 ahead. There is also the reality that the .270 WSM is in wide scale production while the 7 MM WSM is disappearing from production rifle offerings so longterm the .270 WSM is more likely to have components readily available.

why not both 270 wsm,130 gr for deer and antelope, 7mmwsm 168gr for Long range deer, sheep, elk, bear.....:D

You can do both with the 270, 110 TTSX for the ultimate varmint or antelope load then load a 140 Accubond for all around and finally load a 165 or 175 Matrix for a long range smack down gun)The 7mmWSM is just dying a slow death, just trying to put it out of it's misery :D:D

If you do not reload, I would say go with the 270WSM.....then again, I'm new to the lrh game so I'm no expert and don't have nearly as much experience or knowledge as a lot of people on this site. It seems like the 30 and 270 WSM are the only ones that are sticking around (7WSM factory rounds are getting harder to find) and there are plenty of factory ammo on the shelf for either at most stores. I do not live close to a cabelas or bass pro so I have to go with the local mom and pop store up the road from my house or go down to walmart and I can only ever find 270 or 30 WSM factory ammo while there. This is just my situation/location, you may have better luck finding 7WSM by where you live.

On the other hand, I started to reload right around the time I had my first semi-custom built. I decided to go with the 7WSM because of the higher bc's and the better range of bullets at that time. So far I've only shot the 168 bergers out of the rifle, but I also just got a set of 160gr accubonds that I'm going to try out. Then there's always the 180gr berger hybrids, or VLD's. The list of possibilities is huge! At the time I built, the 7mm just gave better choices.

I really don't see a downside to either and you will really enjoy shooting whatever one you decide on.

The 7mmWSM is just dying a slow death, just trying to put it out of it's misery :D:D

It has to hang around at least a few more years. I'd hate to try and explain to the wife why I need a new custom to replace me dead 7WSM.....I haven't fully recovered from all the honey-do's I had to do to convince her to let me drop that much money on a rifle lol :D

270wsm has my vote! It's been "Thor's Hammer" for me on northern MN whitetails. Although for a custom build it would have to be a 6.5wsm IMO.gun)

Not to hijack this thread, but I agree that a 6.5 WSM would be a VERY tempting custom as it would give .264 Win Mag performance in a short action without a belt. It seems to be the ideal long-range deer cartridge. Why hasn't this become a standard loading???????

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.