270 wsm reload question

Just F.Y.I...…..My Winchester Model 70 Featherweight gets about 3,600 F.P.S. after Very careful reloading procedure with Reloader 19 and Barnes 110 grain TTSX....Now this is only in my rifle, with my reloading techniques, mind you. Also with R 19, and 130 grain Nosler Accubond's are at about 3,200 F.P.S. Using Winchester Large Rifle primers and NEW Win. brass. Conclusion after about 50 years of reloading experience, this .270 WSM is very happy with Reloader 19. Period.

Just F.Y.I...…..My Winchester Model 70 Featherweight gets about 3,600 F.P.S. after Very careful reloading procedure with Reloader 19 and Barnes 110 grain TTSX....Now this is only in my rifle, with my reloading techniques, mind you. Also with R 19, and 130 grain Nosler Accubond's are at about 3,200 F.P.S. Using Winchester Large Rifle primers and NEW Win. brass. Conclusion after about 50 years of reloading experience, this .270 WSM is very happy with Reloader 19. Period.
Good to know I'm very limited as to what powder I can get local without traveling about 2 hours but I did see one container of R19 at my local store.

Depends on what your are hunting. A 110 is not suitable for anything bigger than Deer.

In my deer woods there's bout as many wild boars as deer....200lb to 300lb is not that uncommon. I've killed a few and prefer pretty good knock down punch.

I won't ever try that load again....Looks like most of the brass is Federal. I think the problem is just worn out brass. I just bought some IMR 4831 powder Saturday I'm a little limited on my choices in my area unless I can go to a gun show.

I think that at least part of your problem is that you are using different types brass. I recommend that you get:
new brass, (pitch the Federal)
a slower powder,
CCI 250 Magnum primers (I find these more consistent than WLRM primers)
while the core-lock will certainly do for 80% of the hunters in the USA, they are not the most accurate for longer ranges. My experience is that they will bracket a large plate at 800 yards, while the 135 gr SMK would hit same target with the same load from a .270 Winchester.
If you are planning close in shooting for hogs and deer, don't overlook the Nosler Partition bullet. I have had great luck with this bullet at 400 yards and closer.

Good luck

Jerry

I think that at least part of your problem is that you are using different types brass. I recommend that you get:
new brass, (pitch the Federal)
a slower powder,
CCI 250 Magnum primers (I find these more consistent than WLRM primers)
while the core-lock will certainly do for 80% of the hunters in the USA, they are not the most accurate for longer ranges. My experience is that they will bracket a large plate at 800 yards, while the 135 gr SMK would hit same target with the same load from a .270 Winchester.
If you are planning close in shooting for hogs and deer, don't overlook the Nosler Partition bullet. I have had great luck with this bullet at 400 yards and closer.

Good luck

Jerry
It's not even necessary to use magnum primers, my preferred primer for all WSM cartridges is GM210M ( non magnum). I do primer tests on every barrel and it has been the most accurate. Tested to 5° with no ignition problems.

It's not even necessary to use magnum primers, my preferred primer for all WSM cartridges is GM210M ( non magnum). I do primer tests on every barrel and it has been the most accurate. Tested to 5° with no ignition problems.
I'll get some the next time I'm at a sporting goods that sells them.

I'm glad the non magnum primers work for you but I have 4 WSMs and every datasheet I see specifies magnum primers. I use CCI250.

I'm convinced that if you are using a slow enough burning powder (not ball powder) to get a decent case fill (+90%) you dont need a mag primer. I'm using BR2 primers in my 28 Nosler.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.