270 wsm or 300 wsm

Trigger1989

Still relatively new to the long range shooting and hunting gig. I also just harvested my first deer this past December here in the wild west (AZ). I got a lung shot on a mule deer at 200 yards with my ruger mark ii chambered in 6mm rem. Due to the lung shot he only stumbled about 15 yards and was out in only a few minutes. My only issue was the bullet did not hit bone and did not exit. A good kill but now that I have big game fever, I am over thinking my next hunting rifle ... it will be used mainly for deer and long range shooting with the rare chance I get drawn for rifle elk. If I did I would not want to be slightly under gunned like I was a few months ago. I know technically I wasn't under gunned but the heaviest bullet that I could get to shoot sub moa was 90 grain nosler ballistic tips. So maybe my ammo was what slightly handicapped me. Anyways, with the short magnums I like that I can get a 23" barrel with a short action for a overall shorter package vs say a 7mm rem mag or 300 win mag. I guess my big question in a nutshell is would I be handicapped for elk with the 270 wsm? Everything I've read points me to the 300 wsm due to velocity and wide range of bullet selection especially since I hand load. For some reason I just want the 270 though! Probably because it will be a little easier on the shoulder and meat when it comes to what I will be mainly doing with the rifle, long range paper killing and deer hunting. So I look to you guys for reasons why I should pick one or the other, or possibly make my decision harder! Either way thanks in advance for the input!

I would do the 300 just for the fact of bullet selection, expecialy on heaveier game. The 270 is adequate but if i had to choose a bore smaller than 30 it would be 6.5mm or 7mm for the same reason. For some reason the 270 was overlooked for long range type bullets. There are some available but limited weights and selection. You go down a size or up a size and its boat loads. I ran into that on my stepsons 270 Win. I chose the 150gr SST for larger game at distance. He uses 130 Interlocks on deer here on the east coast. Taken them out to 300 without issue. Usually dont exit, thats why I jumped up for our Elk trip this fall.

Both are excellent chamberings for elk size game with the right load at it's max range (enough energy at POI to harvest to humanely harvest the game) and shot placement of course.

Having said that, my personal preference would be the .300 WSM; load it with 215 Berger VLD and you're golden.

If you go with the .270 WSM and you handload, the Matrix 165 and 175 (if you can get them) and the Berger 170 are awesome pills for it but would require a faster twist than 1:10". I have 1:8" for my .270 AI.

Good luck!

If you plan on shooting heavy bullets you'll probably want your short mag on a long action anyway. Even a 308 shooting 215's is gonna give you about a 3" oal. The short action really limits your bullet choices.

Realistically what kind of hunting ranges are you looking at? I think any magnum on a barrel shorter than 24" is a waste.

Haven't had an elk argue much with a 270 WSM even in the 900 + yard range, a 165 Matrix or 170 Berger seated in ideal position will fit the new 3.110 inside mag boxes for the rem short action. I like the 300 and 215 Berger as well but I still prefer the 270 with heavy for cal bullets.

Hard to beat .30 cal holes when hunting !! A lot more available in bullet weights and quality... Only downfall of each is brass availability now and certainly in the future, grab a couple of hundred if and when you can..good luck !!

My son has a 300 WSM, I have a 270. Like was said there is a bunch more bullet selection for the 300. Like you I just like the 270. Don't know why they don't make more offerings in bullets but theres still enough for me out there to chose from. The 270 is the lightest recoil magnum that I have ever owned and that means something to me. It's not what I would chose for a up close and personal big bear gun but neither is the 300. I've got a level two X bullet load for the 45/70 and 458 Lott for that kinda stuff. OUCH!! Kills at one end and maims at the other. Ha!.

Like you I just like the 270. Don't know why they don't make more offerings in bullets but theres still enough for me out there to chose from.

lightbulbIn the last couple of years or so, the 150 Nosler LRAB, Matrix 165/175, and now the Berger 170 are now made available on the heavies.lightbulb

lightbulbIn the last couple of years or so, the 150 Nosler LRAB, Matrix 165/175, and now the Berger 170 are now made available on the heavies.lightbulb

Thanks. Is a 10 twist good enough for them?

Thanks fellers. I guess a 1 in 8 might be in the cards but I gotta wear this one out some first. What kinda money is involved in a barrel worth buyin. It's a Savage so I might just be able ta figure out changing it myself. Ive seen other folks do it. Kinda funny once my son and me met this guy he was buying a gun from. The boy had a 450 Bushmaster barrel he wanted put on the gun he was buying. The guy opened up his trunk with some tools and he changed it out right quick, right there in the Gander Mountain parking lot. Do you think a 1 in 8 will be rough on the 130 jackets at 3300 plus?

FEENIX. I know I aint got the cents of ah tree stump so I'm gonna ask.....What is SG and how would it be in or not in my favor??

Thanks fellers. I guess a 1 in 8 might be in the cards but I gotta wear this one out some first. What kinda money is involved in a barrel worth buyin. It's a Savage so I might just be able ta figure out changing it myself. Ive seen other folks do it. Kinda funny once my son and me met this guy he was buying a gun from. The boy had a 450 Bushmaster barrel he wanted put on the gun he was buying. The guy opened up his trunk with some tools and he changed it out right quick, right there in the Gander Mountain parking lot. Do you think a 1 in 8 will be rough on the 130 jackets at 3300 plus?

FEENIX. I know I aint got the cents of ah tree stump so I'm gonna ask.....What is SG and how would it be in or not in my favor??

SG is gyroscopic stability factor of a bullet as noted in the link I provided from Berger's website (Twist Rate Stability Calculator | Berger Bullets). Use the link and try changing the other factors; i.e., the higher BC, velocity, altitude, and faster twist rate, the higher the SG.

Not sure about 130s but I know but 150s work extremely well out of my Lilja 1:8" 3-groove barrel. Perhaps others that have hands on experience chimes in.

You can get Savage prefits from Shilen, PacNor, McGowen, etc ... from $325 and up.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.