270 wsm for 12 year old?

Oldschool280

Hello gang, I am considering an all around hunting rifle for my son and im leaning toward a bar in 270 wsm. This I plan on being something that he will keep forever and almost always have a use for it in the lower 48. He shoots my 6.5 swede very comfortably and he's growing fast 5'5 125. Any personal thoughts on this combo? I was hoping the autoloader would make the rifle tolerable for a smaller framed person.

Hello gang, I am considering an all around hunting rifle for my son and im leaning toward a bar in 270 wsm. This I plan on being something that he will keep forever and almost always have a use for it in the lower 48. He shoots my 6.5 swede very comfortably and he's growing fast 5'5 125. Any personal thoughts on this combo? I was hoping the autoloader would make the rifle tolerable for a smaller framed person.

Excellent chambering, load it with 165 Matrix/170 Berger VLD, install a muzzle brake and you're son is golden. The only draw back is that, the brass is getting harder and harder to find.

Good luck!

I started my kids out on 243s but a 6.5 creedmoor or a 7mm-08 would also come into play. Not knowing if kids will grow up and want to handload or not, I'd go with more commonly found rounds like the 3 I listed. Once he is for sure interested, then you can go as wild as you want. I find rounds with lower recoil tend to make younger shooters want to shoot more.

Glad you are getting him started and probably hard to go too far wrong.

If your worried about recoil get a smaller case in a bolt gun don't go with an automatic. A fast twist 243 slinging 105's is a deer's nightmare. I started my step-sons before the teen years with 243's. The oldest is 26 and the youngest is 21 they still have them.

use light bullets and H4895 , Hodgdon has the youth reduced recoil loads that really softens up the recoil . start him with about the same recoil as your 6.5 swede , and just let him grow into full loads .

I've got 2 BARs. I have a Belgium made (Portugal assembled) in 280 REM that is a dream to shoot with nothing but a hard butt plate. My dad has the same gun in 270, also a dream to shoot. Both are blued with wood stocks.

Then I have a newer (2007ish) in 300WSM with synthetic stock that is a teeth rattler from the bench. I hate shooting the thing. I'm not sure what it is about it but man that thing kicks. It's as bad (or worse) than my dad's TC in 35 Whelen.

All 3 of BARs will shoot 1.5" groups at 100 yards with ammo they like. Which is good enough for me.

Just my 2 cents worth. I would not go with the 270 wsm because of ammo or case availability. It is hard to get now and probably will be worse in the future because it is one of those good rounds that just did not catch on. I would also not go with a semi auto for two reasons. First is safety with youngsters when they get excited and forget that a live round has been put in the chamber after they shot that animal and forget about safety. Second is accuracy, they are nowhere as accurate as a good bolt gun at longer ranges. If your son is shooting your 6.5 Swede OK then why not get him something like a 6.5 creedmore or 260 Remington in a good accurate bolt gun. Get a 8 twist barrel and you can shoot any bullet 100 to 160 gr with no problem. These rounds with the proper bullet will take anything the 270 wsm would. If push came to shove and factory ammo became hard to get you can always make you own cases out of the every present 308 Win. Which come to think about it would not be a bad choice also. I have killed a bunch of whitetail deer with the 308 with 125 gr Nosler ballisitic tips running 3000 fps at the muzzle. It has much less recoil than full house 150 gr loads. You can even load it down lighter. Hodgdon has youth loads using H4895. I shoot 46 grs IMR 4895 which is a max load in my rifle. Like I said, just my 2 cents worth. Good luck in your quest.

So i went with the 700 mountain rifle in 7-08. Handloading 120 ballistic tips and its a dream to shoot. Lightweight, allweather stainless. Thanx for all of your help.

Attachments

• IMG_1033.jpg
    IMG_1033.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 136
How does it shoot? I've been thinking about getting one in 280.

I want one in 280 for myself, we just started working up loads
This is 100 yards. The barrel is very thin but it cools quickly also. Scpoed it weighs 6.5 pounds on my scale

Attachments

• IMG_1029.jpg
    IMG_1029.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 135
Just my 2 cents worth. I would not go with the 270 wsm because of ammo or case availability. It is hard to get now and probably will be worse in the future because it is one of those good rounds that just did not catch on. I would also not go with a semi auto for two reasons. First is safety with youngsters when they get excited and forget that a live round has been put in the chamber after they shot that animal and forget about safety. Second is accuracy, they are nowhere as accurate as a good bolt gun at longer ranges. If your son is shooting your 6.5 Swede OK then why not get him something like a 6.5 creedmore or 260 Remington in a good accurate bolt gun. Get a 8 twist barrel and you can shoot any bullet 100 to 160 gr with no problem. These rounds with the proper bullet will take anything the 270 wsm would. If push came to shove and factory ammo became hard to get you can always make you own cases out of the every present 308 Win. Which come to think about it would not be a bad choice also. I have killed a bunch of whitetail deer with the 308 with 125 gr Nosler ballisitic tips running 3000 fps at the muzzle. It has much less recoil than full house 150 gr loads. You can even load it down lighter. Hodgdon has youth loads using H4895. I shoot 46 grs IMR 4895 which is a max load in my rifle. Like I said, just my 2 cents worth. Good luck in your quest.
I agree 100%

I started my kids out on 243s but a 6.5 creedmoor or a 7mm-08 would also come into play. Not knowing if kids will grow up and want to handload or not, I'd go with more commonly found rounds like the 3 I listed. Once he is for sure interested, then you can go as wild as you want. I find rounds with lower recoil tend to make younger shooters want to shoot more.

Glad you are getting him started and probably hard to go too far wrong.
Agree 100%