270 win Rebarrel

This is why "I" NEVER ask what rifle to build or buy.
Me neither or what truck to buy .i am member of a range with 65 members and most of the time we are all shooting something different or a different load and the parking lot has every brand of truck car suv but we enjoy each other's company and respect each other's opinion's and I have now started building a 7mm tcu and don't know how I managed to kill a deer with out one.

Me neither or what truck to buy .i am member of a range with 65 members and most of the time we are all shooting something different or a different load and the parking lot has every brand of truck car suv but we enjoy each other's company and respect each other's opinion's and I have now started building a 7mm tcu and don't know how I managed to kill a deer with out one.
But I am jealous of that 30-06 with #3 bartlein barrel

Shot everything from rabbits to deer with my 270w, plinking is fine with a sporter weight barrel, yes it heats up but that hasn't overly bothered me during the past 25 years and it is still accurate. Mine is a Rem700 stainless, when I re-barrel it I will go 26", can always shorten later, at the moment 1:10 does just fine for my needs. Just thread it and run a brake when plinking.
Agree - think sometimes some shooters become so finicky they forget "whut brung em" in the first place. :)

Only learned later that the "Sporterized" 30.06 (1903) I grew up with had a custom barrel and a Timney trigger. On days I was up to it - with good factory ammo - would shoot dang near same hole. And that comes from somebody once on a Rifle team.

And it was a looker - blond stock - cheekpiece - serviceable 3x9 Simmons scope - back in the 50's. Later learned a friend's uncle had built it and sold it to him for memory's sake. He doesn't even shoot it - just up on his garage/workshop wall.

OH YEA - back then - just used for hunting up to 300+ lb Mulies in the hills of Southern Oregon - at about 5,000 feet. We didn't measure by racks - but by freezer meat. :)

Come on - even old dogs can learn new tricks. :)
People sometimes complicate things unnecessarily. This old dog just builds it and share later. Believe me, this old dog does his research and learned lots of tricks from this forum throughout the years. I am a continuous learner and still learn new tricks. I guess that's why I am back to school. :)

Stick with the .270 for your re-barrel. A lot of people like the 6.5 manbun/creedmore, but out to 900 yards if your shooting a 150 grain bullet, it out performs the Needmore according to Ron Spomer. I also have a .270 and always shot a 130 to 140 grain bullet, but I should have been shooting a 150. BC is very close to the 143 eldx manbun. Anyways, here is a link:
.270 vs 6.5 Manbun(Creed)
For elk I came to the conclusion years ago I wanted more horsepower based on what I observed in killing them, and I decided to go to the .300 Win Mag and now the .300 PRC because it's better round in several aspects. Please don't derail the thread if you disagree this it's just one man's opinion. Any way I just never thought of going to the 150 back in the day. Now that I also need a re-barrel, I think I will stay with the .270, and I can load from 90 grain bullets all the way to 175 if I build it that way/proper twist. My stock, over the counter remington 700 ADL would clover leaf back when it was new in 1974 and it still shoots about moa to this day. I used to shoot rabbits, coyotes, as well as deer and elk. So, to the OP, don't get swayed by all the followers on the 6.5, the .270 is still as good as it needs to be. And if you reload like I do you already have all the stuff for the .270..

Stick with the .270 for your re-barrel. A lot of people like the 6.5 manbun/creedmore, but out to 900 yards if your shooting a 150 grain bullet, it out performs the Needmore according to Ron Spomer. I also have a .270 and always shot a 130 to 140 grain bullet, but I should have been shooting a 150. BC is very close to the 143 eldx manbun. Anyways, here is a link:
.270 vs 6.5 Manbun(Creed)
For elk I came to the conclusion years ago I wanted more horsepower based on what I observed in killing them, and I decided to go to the .300 Win Mag and now the .300 PRC because it's better round in several aspects. Please don't derail the thread if you disagree this it's just one man's opinion. Any way I just never thought of going to the 150 back in the day. Now that I also need a re-barrel, I think I will stay with the .270, and I can load from 90 grain bullets all the way to 175 if I build it that way/proper twist. My stock, over the counter remington 700 ADL would clover leaf back when it was new in 1974 and it still shoots about moa to this day. I used to shoot rabbits, coyotes, as well as deer and elk. So, to the OP, don't get swayed by all the followers on the 6.5, the .270 is still as good as it needs to be. And if you reload like I do you already have all the stuff for the .270..
EXCELLENT

I Love my Weatherby Ultra light in 270 Win!! My Favorite Deer Rifle ! It came with a Krieger Fluted stainless Steel Barrel that Shoots Amazing ! I like that it's a full 24 In barrel , not a 20 Or a 22 inch ! I Take it to the Range a Lot the Two Months Prior to Deer Hunting ! Contact Krieger Barrels , Get one Of these

OH YEA - back then - just used for hunting up to 300+ lb Mulies in the hills of Southern Oregon - at about 5,000 feet. We didn't measure by racks - but by freezer meat. :)
My grandma bought grandpa his 270 for just that purpose. It was like those lakeview mulies had a built in range finder and would stand off about 300 yds when grandpa had his old 32 special. Once he got that 270 the mulies started piling up in the freezer.

Think I've decided to take a change on what I was originally going to do with this rifle. For now I am undecided whether to stay with the 270 or swap it up a little bit as I am not set on this caliber. I do reload for it but does not hurt my feelings to buy another set of dies and go for something new for a while. I am Leaning towards either going up to a 280AI or down to possibly a 6.5-06 or maybe even a 6.5-284 norma. Those have always intrigued me. For now I think I am going to go on the hunt for a new stock and order a trigger. Once those two things are out of the way, I will revisit the thought of rechambering or just sticking with rebarreling. Thanks everyone for their help and opinions!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.