270 Weatherby Loads

bweber

Hi,

Curious to know if anyone out there has any good pet loads for the 270 Weatherby. I just had one all set up with a Krieger target barrel that should shoot great. But I've been working with a H4831 load and just haven't gotten anywhere with it. I know the gun will shoot as it does pretty well with the factory Weatherby loads. But I like to load my own stuff and don't like paying $2 a shell to shoot.

Does anyone have any recommendations of where to start? Maybe with IMR7828?

Thanks,

Ben

I'd like to stick with the 150's if I can, though a good 130gr would work too. So far I've been working with the 150gr. Sierra boattail and the Nosler 150gr Partitions.

Ben

I've done some work with a couple of 270 wby and own one myself. You must have some freebore in that custom if you can shoot factory with no pressure signs?? Have you chrono'd the factory rounds??
If I had to recomend I'd say I7828 is the place to start. With 150's probably anywhere from about 70 grains to as much as 73 or 74--stop when you match the factory speed. If you find a real sweet grouper in that range probably stop there too cause 100 fps isn't worth much compared to super accuracy. My factory weatherby was a real average shooter with almost any bullet till I tried 140 grain a-frames. For some reason it will launch these at 3325 fps and group 3" round groups at 300 yds all day long. My friend has a custom Rifles inc and it likes RE 25 with good old 150 grain hornady interlocks. (Not interbonds...interlocks the cheap $.15 cent bullet!!) You can load the RE 25 about 1.5 grains more than your favorite load of 7828 but again WORK UP. I just got some of the new 7828 super short cut powder but haven't worked with it yet. I believe that it would be a great choice for the 270 wby AND I am anxious to work with '06 sized cases with heavy bullets with the same powder.

Ive used 7828 with some success with both 150s and 130s. 70gr with 150s (3183fps) and 4 to 5 grains higher with 130s (3400fps). My limited testing (3 rifles) showed that good results usually materialized between 67 and 70 grs for the 150s, and again 4-5 grs higher for 130s.
imr 4350 has also shot pretty well under 150s in one of rifles ive loaded for. You do give up about a hundred fps though.

Thanks guys. Sounds like you agree that the 7828 is the next place to start. I'm going to try and play hookie tomorrow afternoon and hit the range. I'll let you know how I make out. That Krieger barrel I had put on is a 28", so I'm less worried about velocity as I figure the longer barrel will make about any load shoot plenty fast. Also, my own notion of long-range hunting stops at about 350 yds, so I don't need a super-flat trajectory.

But the new IMR7828 short cut powder raises an interesting question. Does anyone know whether this can be substituted grain for grain for the normal cut 7828? I would think that the increased surface area would cause a faster burn rate. Curious to know if I can really just substitute one for the other or if they should be considered different powders.

Ben

They're supposed to be the same grain for grain BUT>>>>you have to realize that powders can be different from lot to lot by 5% quite easily so.....when you are loading 70 grains a different lot could produce the same pressure velocity at 67. I've never seen quite that much difference myself but someday I'm sure I'll be surprised. I've seen posts from people using the short cut and it has been the same as the regular 7828. Getting off the subject a little I got a canister of it and with winchester once fired brass in my 30-06 I could easily get 64 grains and not be going up the neck of the brass--I'm thinking this stuff could elevate the performance of that '06 with some heavier tsx and accubond bullets....and my quickload confirms my thinking----good velocity at moderate pressure.

Thanks. Nosler's manual seems to like about 68.5 gr of 7828 with a 150 grain bullet. I have a ton of 150's around so I may try that first and work up from there. I'd be interested to try the 140gr though. Seems like it could be a good split between the 150's and 130's. I tend to like to find a single load that each gun shoots well and leave it at that. The 140gr could make that simpler for me.

Ben

Ben, I was able to replicate Weatherby Factory 150s w/ R22.

Weatherby Brass, Federal 215 GMM Primers, 150 Grain Hdy SPIL Flat Base, and ***71*** grains of R22.

*** This was a quite warm load so, please don't start that High.

The R22 Load shows no pressure signs and bolts smoothly after firing.

I was able to Replicate Factory Ballistics w/ IMR7828 but, the Bolt was sticky and primers where starting to Flatten.

R22 is very close to what Weatherby loads their factory rounds w/. I weighed the Wea. factory charge at 71.5 grains of powder. Not sure what kind Weatherby uses looks like R22 but, I think it may be Norma MRP.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Thanks Reloader. I'll give that one a look. Sounds like your load is similar to mine except the powder. And I'm trying like hell to use boat tails for the longer range potential. But with other guns I have to admit I've always gotten my best accuracy with flat bases. Not sure that's ever made sense to me. I had a 300 Win that shot wonderfully with flat based bullets. But the minute you switched the bullets for boattails the group size would double.

Ben

happy new years, my 270 bee loves the 140 nosler partition with RL-22 and 72.0grs which is higher then nosler book of 68.5. excellent accuracy

Depends on if you have the wby throat or a custom throat. If you have the wby freebore throat then the 68.5 grains of 7828 is a very light load. If you have a custom throat then I don't know. With the standard 270 wby you can easily shoot 74 grains of 7828 with the 150 grain bullet and more in some rifles like mine.

I'd like to stick with the 150's if I can, though a good 130gr would work too. So far I've been working with the 150gr. Sierra boattail and the Nosler 150gr Partitions.

Ben

I have found that the big case likes 140 grain and heavier bullets best. But shoot mostly 150's in mine. There is a new 160 grain bullet out that I plan on trying out this year. Go for near max loads all the time.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.