270 Weatherby bullet recommendations

cbaker

Went to the range this wknd to do some load development on my 270 Weatherby. Using a couple different 130 gr. flat base bullets with h4831 powder. The groups were all over the place. Does anyone have suggestions on what powder and bullets might work best in standard Mark V 270 wby? Thanks.

my dads 270 wby shoot really good with andy seirra bt bullet and a stiff charge of IMR 4831. he also shoots swift sciroccos and RL 22. hope that helps.

Friend of mine has the German made rifle in 270 weatherby, and I understand it has a different twist rate than the current models. He had the best luck with the 150gr Hornady bullet and IMR 4831 powder.

I know with the groove bullet thread on here I am going to sound like a salesman. I think quite possibly the best bullet out right now for any of the .270's is their 113Gr bullet. This bullet is made to terminaly perform the same as 122-135gr'ish lead core type bullet but you get the benifit of less pressure and the higher velocity. Before I was dead set on having a custom .257 WSM built to shoot 100gr's but now with this 113 gr .270 groove bullet I am going to save myself the hassle, expense, and the headache of a wildcat and go good ol .270WSM. This will be in a lightweight gun to back up my STW.

I had a mediocre shooting .270 wby that just didn't shoot tight with anything. Then picked up some 140 swift a-frames and over max charges of I7828 will easily shoot 3" groups at 300yds. Not benchrest quality I guess but certainly good enough for any normal hunting. Especially considering the a-frame is such a good tough hunting bullet.

Cbaker, my 7 STW was all over the place with 140 xlc's. Now it shoots great with the 156 cauterucio. I think the 140 was going to fast. I would definitly try a heavier bullet.

Good Luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.