270 to 27 nosler

Bkmuschalek78

I have a barely used 270 that I'm wondering if it could be rechambered to a 27 nosler. Is this possible? Barrel has moderate use and mainly just sits in the safe. Feasible or no?

According to Nosler the 270 has an OAL of 3.320, the 27 Nosler has an OAL of 3.340, so I would check with a qualified gunsmith to verify whether it's possible, I think there would more than just a re-chambering, due to the fact the cases are so dissimilar.

I'm thinking of going to the 27 Nosler once my .270 Allen Magnum is burnt out. The Nosler round doesn't have quiet the performance that the AM does but at least ammo is available off the shelf.

It's a christensen ridgeline rifle. No sentimental value to it. I bought it on a wim and haven't shot it much. From what I have been reading I think twist rate would be the limiting factor of doing this.

270 comes standard with a 10" twist….27 Nosler will work just fine with a 10" twist.
You won't be able to shoot much over a 150g pill, but who cares?
Feed rails will need massaging, bolt face will need opening up.
I have 2 270 Weatherby barrels for the same rifle, one is a 10" twist 26" tube, the other is a 9" twist 28" barrel that started at 30".
They both shoot 150's the same, around 1/2MoA or better. Can use the 165g ABLR in the 9" twist and it gains only around 200yrds more range over the 150 ABLR.
If you think this doesn't matter a huge deal like me, then go for it.

Cheers.

270 comes standard with a 10" twist….27 Nosler will work just fine with a 10" twist.
You won't be able to shoot much over a 150g pill, but who cares?
Feed rails will need massaging, bolt face will need opening up.
I have 2 270 Weatherby barrels for the same rifle, one is a 10" twist 26" tube, the other is a 9" twist 28" barrel that started at 30".
They both shoot 150's the same, around 1/2MoA or better. Can use the 165g ABLR in the 9" twist and it gains only around 200yrds more range over the 150 ABLR.
If you think this doesn't matter a huge deal like me, then go for it.

Cheers.
Agree - 270 Win is .473 and 27 Nosler is a .540 - not an easy swap
By the time you did all this work to your current rifle, you would nearly have a brand new rifle. Perhaps thinking about keeping the 270 as a legacy rifle and building a new one, or a semi-custom new one would be a good option

Agree - 270 Win is .473 and 27 Nosler is a .540 - not an easy swapelicity
By the time you did all this work to your current rifle, you would nearly have a brand new rifle. Perhaps thinking about keeping the 270 as a legacy rifle and building a new one, or a semi-custom new one would be a good option
Agree. Quite a bit of work involved for no significant gain. Just some more velocity, and with today's powders the basic 270 Win has "enough" velocity already. Yeah, I know that's a silly judgement. I just mean that if the existing twist won't let you step up to seriously high BC bullets, you already have enough MV to use existing 10" twist bullets like the 145 ELD-X out to a very long distance.
Good luck whatever you pursue.
Rex