270 Thor's Hammer and 270 PRC and 27 Nosler

rbTanzan

From other threads we hear of:
.270 Thors Hammer. Done.

So what exactly is this 270 TH, that is, 270 Thors Hammer? It sounds like it is just a 270Win with a twist of 8" or under and a longish freeborn/throat. Or am I mistaken? PS: Maybe a slow 30'' (0.5°) taper like the 458WM instead of too much freebore.

Meanwhile, with the 300 PRC, itself a great standard action ballistic twin to the 300Wby, we could have a 270 PRC:
the 375Ruger case necked down to .277".

Which raises the questions:
Is this significantly better than the 6.8Western? (6.8 Western would be a 270 Short PRC)
Or would it be functionally equal to a 27 Nosler with a fast twist?

Yes

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 78
first the 6.8 western has nothing to do with the prc case weather long or short.
second anything over 85gr case capacity is not real practical in the .277 which leaves the 300 PRC case and the nosler as too much of a good thing.
the 270 TH is almost a perfect blend for heavy for caliber, case capacity, speed and shootability in a packable weight rifle with easily available components.

first the 6.8 western has nothing to do with the prc case weather long or short.
second anything over 85gr case capacity is not real practical in the .277 which leaves the 300 PRC case and the nosler as too much of a good thing.
the 270 TH is almost a perfect blend for heavy for caliber, case capacity, speed and shootability in a packable weight rifle with easily available components.
If I understand you correctly, you are saying a .270 Win is almost a perfect chambering for heavy for caliber set-up.

Last edited:
If I understand you correctly, you are saying a .270 Win is almost a perfect chambering.
a properly set up 270 win with the newer bullets on a long action or the 6.8 as the upper end of case capacity on a short action are almost perfect for the .277 caliber.

i have been there with the 90,100, my biggest 114 case capacity and yes they are fun and really get peoples attention at the range just not practical

From other threads we hear of:

So what exactly is this 270 TH, that is, 270 Thors Hammer? It sounds like it is just a 270Win with a twist of 8" or under and a longish freeborn/throat. Or am I mistaken? PS: Maybe a slow 30'' (0.5°) taper like the 458WM instead of too much freebore.

Meanwhile, with the 300 PRC, itself a great standard action ballistic twin to the 300Wby, we could have a 270 PRC:
the 375Ruger case necked down to .277".

Which raises the questions:
Is this significantly better than the 6.8Western? (6.8 Western would be a 270 Short PRC)
Or would it be functionally equal to a 27 Nosler with a fast twist?
Fast twist 270 WSM with more free bore would fill most shooters needs. Mine shoots 150ABLR @ 3100. Whats not to like there!

My vote is the 27prc based of of the 300prc case. I already have a 270 win and want a little more. So I'm going to be doing a 27 Sherman mag, with is a 300 prc necked down and improved. Will be on a 7 twist muller works carbon. Just got to get a couple more parts and off to the gun Smith.

First I'd like to say that I am not being "flip" here, simply asking a question. From this reply you have described what a .270 Thor's Hammer "isn't", would you please describe to me what a .270 Thor's Hammer is?? I shoot a .270 Ackley Improved which I consider a top .277 caliber cartridge. Mine is built with a 1:10 twist, and that works well for me with whitetail hunting and hunting/shooting 130-150s in mind. My thoughts about the 6.8 Western is this cartridge is nothing more than the gun industry selling hype and making this cartridge the "cartridge of the year", anti-tank, 5 mile, Trex killer of the century. When...in reality, at least in my opinion, the ultimate commercial cartridge in the .277 caliber has already been introduced to the shooting market!!! And...that cartridge is the .270 Winchester Short Magnum!!! With the .270 WSM one has the larger case capacity, the components "brass" is available, and all one has to do is put a 1:8 twist barrel on the rifle and "that" will be a long-range rifle capable of shooting high BC bullets at greater velocities than the 6.8 Western. Again would you please tell me what the .270 Thor's Hammer is???? Thank you.

First I'd like to say that I am not being "flip" here, simply asking a question. From this reply you have described what a .270 Thor's Hammer "isn't", would you please describe to me what a .270 Thor's Hammer is?? I shoot a .270 Ackley Improved which I consider a top .277 caliber cartridge. Mine is built with a 1:10 twist, and that works well for me with whitetail hunting and hunting/shooting 130-150s in mind. My thoughts about the 6.8 Western is this cartridge is nothing more than the gun industry selling hype and making this cartridge the "cartridge of the year", anti-tank, 5 mile, Trex killer of the century. When...in reality, at least in my opinion, the ultimate commercial cartridge in the .277 caliber has already been introduced to the shooting market!!! And...that cartridge is the .270 Winchester Short Magnum!!! With the .270 WSM one has the larger case capacity, the components "brass" is available, and all one has to do is put a 1:8 twist barrel on the rifle and "that" will be a long-range rifle capable of shooting high BC bullets at greater velocities than the 6.8 Western. Again would you please tell me what the .270 Thor's Hammer is???? Thank you.
the 270 TH is nothing more than a properly throated, fast twist 270win. there is a tread by Muddyboots with all the info.
there is nothing wrong with the 270 wsm if you use a mid length action but the 6.8 is better suited on a short action also if you load both to 2.8 OAL to stay in a short action you will notice that they are almost identical with the 6.8 being a little more efficient

My thoughts are with a 165 ablr or a 170 Berger with a 8 twist in .277 at 3200 would hammer the s… out of most deer type game. There is a member that had a 27 nosler built with an extended freebore that might give further insight. Case capacity on powder would depend on type or burn rate anywhere from 72.5 to 86. With the nosler case. I have been considering this case for my next barrel and caliber even though the limit of bullets compared to the 7mm. I already have a .284 caliber rifle.

The basis for the .270TH is 700LA that has exceptional magazine COAL of 3.67" to allow maximum bullet seating with a chamber throated accordingly. This provides capability to shoot longer higher BC bullets pretty close to .270AI. The barrel is Preferred Barrel 1:8tw, 0.290 freebore added.

The ladders for the heavier bullets with RL26 was astonishing. This was start of seeing the velocity pool go bonkers.

Post in thread 'Build velocity pool?'
https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/build-velocity-pool.274007/post-2242109

Pic of the 156HH loaded for dummy round sent to Preferred Barrel and they nailed it.
6F52070F-B3DD-439A-87F8-0823A36E54D4.jpeg

The basis for the .270TH is 700LA that has exceptional magazine COAL of 3.67" to allow maximum bullet seating with a chamber throated accordingly. This provides capability to shoot longer higher BC bullets pretty close to .270AI. The barrel is Preferred Barrel 1:8tw, 0.290 freebore added.

The ladders for the heavier bullets with RL26 was astonishing. This was start of seeing the velocity pool go bonkers.

Post in thread 'Build velocity pool?'
https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/build-velocity-pool.274007/post-2242109

Pic of the 156HH loaded for dummy round sent to Preferred Barrel and they nailed it.
View attachment 372365

I just had a conversation with FEENIX about the various .277 caliber information. Attached are some photos of a .270 Winchester and a .270 Winchester on steroids a .270 Ackley Improved. What the reasoning is behind the fact that the commercial companies are not taking a strong look at, or...even other people who are interested in .277 caliber cartridges (like those on this thread) baffles the hell out of me. I can get an honest 3300+FPS out of the cartridge with a 26 inch barrel, however the rifles (mine and my son's) like around 3100FPS, and so does the brass

Attachments

• .270AI1.JPG
    .270AI1.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 106
  • .270AI2.JPG
    .270AI2.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 108
  • .270AI3.JPG
    .270AI3.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 94
  • .270 Ackley Improved 300yds.jpg
    .270 Ackley Improved 300yds.jpg