270 results at 300 yards

remingtonman_25_06

i tested several loads over these couple days with my 270 and a couple bullets with h4831sc. I tested the 140g sst, 140g sbt, 140g ab, and 150g btip. I am looking for a load that gives me around a 2 inch group, then I'll be happy. Well, there was actually only one load that did that and that was 58g h4831sc with the 140g sst, first target, it was a 1.5" group. I had a 2.3" group with the 150g btips, its the load that was 57.6g on the first target. I also had load that did 2" with the 140g sbt, it was 59.3g and its on the 2nd target. The 140g ab would give me 2 shots very close, like .5" inch, then the 3rd was a huge flyer, like 4-5". The 140g ab load is on the 2nd target, the powder charge was 58.6g I also shot 58.3g and its on the 1st target on the upper right hand corner, 2 shots are marked in the box, then I had a huge flyer to the upper left of the square. My target looks very crammed, and it is, but I tried my best to circle and detail the powder charge with the bullet. I hope you guys can tell whats what. I really want the 140g ab to shoot, like I said my first 2 shots on 2 loads put the bullets .5-.75" apart, then I had a huge 3rd flyer. The wind was blowing 10-15mph yesterday though, I"m sure that dind't help things much. I have noticed though that this rifle seems to like it on the higher end of the charges. Especially with the Sierras. So what do you guys think I should do?? What about the Accubonds??

rkyck9.jpg

rkyfra.jpg

First question I have is are you shooting a scope with a parallax adjustment? If so did you set it for the proper range? By that I mean visually, not by what the scope has listed on the bell. Most all the scopes I have ever used were off to some degree.

That is why most top end scopes do not have yardage listed on the parallax adjustment so that you have to adjust by sight.

I have seen this make this much difference and at times much more depending on how consistant your shooting position is from shot to shot.

That was my first thought.

After that, I would guess your rifle has a bore diameter that is on the loose side of spec. I say this because it seems to shoot the softer, thinner jacketed bullets(SST, Sierra) noticably more consistant then the hard, thick based bullets(BT and AB).

This is generally because the thin jacketed bullets will bump up under pressure easily in a bore that is slightly larger then it should be. This allows them to shoot very accurately in a wide variaty of bore diameters.

Your comment that they seem to shoot better at the higher pressures also is a sign of this.

The BT and AB will not bump up because of their solid base. Add to that that they generally run a full 1/2 thou smaller in diameter then conventional cup jacketed bullets and you can see where accuracy issues may come into play with a slightly over spec bore diameter.

From your data, I would guess your bore is slightly oversized, probably well within factory spec but enough that the BTs and ABs do not like it.

I would test the SST further as well as the interbond from Hornady if you do not mind a 130 gr bullet weight.

Kirby Allen(50)

The wind was not blowing with or against me, but it was not exactly full force crosswind either. It was more like crosswind cut in half. My scope is a leupold vx2, 6-18 target. I set the parallax so that I can see my croshair and the target clearly. Your right about the yardage not being right, usually at 300 yards, my setting is on 200 or halfway between 200-300. My rifle does seem to like the sst's and sbt's shooting more consistent. Your observations make sense. I did not know about the jacket softness material. I guess I might have to settle with that sst or sbt load. Those were the 2 bullets I was hoping would not do as good as the Noslers. Oh well though, I've put well over 25 loads through this thing and thats about the best I have come up with. I've tried everything up and down and inbetween with powder weights. Thanks for the insight on the bullets fifty.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.