.270-.338 Norma?

The Hock

Colorado mountains west of Colorado Springs
I haven't contributed much to LRH so I guess I'm sorta a lurker. I enjoy reading your posts tremendously. The practical knowledge shared here has helped me make several decisions in regards to rifles. That's why I am posting this.

I have a Broughton .270 barrel coming that looks like a good candidate for a .270-.338 Norma. It's a 26" barrel that's a bit heavier than a Remington factory magnum profile since my intent is for a sporter, not a heavy gun. The inspiration for the cartridge was the 7 Fatso I guess. Call me crazy but I love the American 7mm bullet diameter!

I have a Remington blued long action and PTG bolt in the Lapua bolt face that will be the recipient of the barrel.

Has anyone done a caliber similar to this? What kind of success did you have? No dimensions are set so any suggestions might keep me from reinventing the wheel!

Why didn't you get a .284 (7mm) barrel and build a 284 Jazz ? Nate Dagley has built a few, with good reviews by the owners. Haven't heard of anyone necking it down to .270 yet. Bullet selection is much better for the 7mm also.

That sounds coooool!!! Some Wildcat bullets and it should be a real long range machine!! Probably a little tamer than the 270 AM but still should haul the mail, I haven't seen anyone make one yet, make sure to keep us posted.
What twist is the barrel?

Last edited:
Thank you guys for the reply. I chose the .270 because I like the caliber and never found a need or use for other weights than what is commercially available.

The barrel is a 1-10 twist and I'm going to try some of the heavy for caliber bullets that are coming available. Paul at Wildcat Bullets has some fine bullets I am looking forward to trying.

My next step is Load From a Disc to get an idea of loads and what to expect from this cartridge. I know that there are some cartridges already being done in this category so I would love to hear from anyone that has experience with them.

Good shooting!

Hock, I have built several 338 Norma's and they are great, also a 270 STW for a friend. His rifle is a sporter weight and he loves velocity, so he pushes 110 TTSX to 3850. Your 338 case should work to give you another 10gr capacity over the STW case so that with the heavy bullets you will be challenged to find many powders in the correct burn rates. I think they are the right way to go to get a little barrel life. Good luck with your project. FYI the HS detchable magazines work perfectly to feed the Norma cases through that action. You will love that Broughton but it is challenging to get the extractor(M16 style) in the PTG bolt to work in the Rem PM me and I can offer some ideas that worked for me.

Last edited:
Go for it! Git'r done! Quick!

Which will keep me from doing it just to be the first.

I'm thinking that the case size would be nearly perfect for a 160 class, high bc projectile.

I shoot a 270 Allen Mag which I flat love but would be intrigued by something on the Norma case as I think any case is pretty much better than the Rem brass.

I wouldn't sweat barrel live too much either. Mine is upwards of 900 rounds and looks really good with the bore scope.

Keep us abreast of your load development calc. results. It'll be very interesting.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.