270-300 Win Mag now feasible

"Midway is blowing out the 170 Bergers for $28 per hundred..."

That little tidbit of info just cost me $150.00 . Happy Father's day to me!
Thank you:D
Gene

They must not be selling very well. It is a bullet of the future, with more 1-8 twist barrels then the bulletwillhave a chance

They must not be selling very well. It is a bullet of the future, with more 1-8 twist barrels then the bulletwillhave a chance

That is what I am thinking...I ordered a boatload of them...

I emailed Marshal at Matrix Bullets...He said that he is waiting on the dies for his 170 Matrix bullets. He stated that the ogive is not as "aggressive" as the Bergers...With his bullets...I may get close to the lands with my 270 Wby...

They're the future for my 270 wby. Ill need a new barrel or have to set back before I run out.They might be the future for my 270 Wsm if I get around to finishing a 338 project I have on gun work bench now.

Gene

To start I'd like to say you guys are doing nothing less than AMAZING work! My brain is just spinning with the potential of the wildcatting you guys are doing! And I'm probably also over thinking a few things as well concerning maybe stepping up to a 300RUM brass! And also after reading that article "Optimal Barrel time" article my brain has been going into over drive concerning if it's possible to increase the muzzle velocity enough to find the next sweet spot in regards to the longitudinal shock wave to have the bullet pass through the muzzle at the optimal time at an even faster velocity without over pressure. Sorry don't now how to articulate what I'm referring to!

I loaded some more 165's up while figuring out my bushing die.

Unfortunately, I was involved in an airplane wreck and probably won't shoot for a while. I had a burst fracture of my l1 vertebrae and it required surgery to stabilize it with titanium rods and fusing of the 5 vertebrae. My rifle weights more than my weight restriction.

Hopefully I will get to do some shooting later this summer.

CogburnR, speedy recovery!

I was laughing at the pile of loose primer pockets, un ignited ball powder and failures to find the lands…It is a slow Saturday night so I took some pics…

The carnage of developing loads when none exist…

Second picture will save me lots of time…ready for tomorrow morning if this dang wind will ever stop…

Matrix on our left the Bergers on our right...

Attachments

• Pile.jpg
    Pile.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 105
  • stack.jpg
    stack.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 103
I look forward to your report. The wind has been pretty rough here since lunch time.

I finally have my .270-7mm Rem Mag. headspaced. I should have it completely assembled by tomorrow. It looks like my case volume is almost exactly the same as the .270 Wby.
John

I look forward to your report. The wind has been pretty rough here since lunch time.

I finally have my .270-7mm Rem Mag. headspaced. I should have it completely assembled by tomorrow. It looks like my case volume is almost exactly the same as the .270 Wby.
John

Nice…

Any idea on what your throat or leade is ? Are you able to load longer bullets? What is your max mag length?

Nice…

Any idea on what your throat or leade is ? Are you able to load longer bullets? What is your max mag length?

I will have to dig out the reamer print to get the exact number. It has somewhere around .2" of leade. I should have about .05" of room in the magazine with the Berger 170gr. firmly in the rifling (or at least that was the plan). The action is a Savage 116.
John

Hole lee cow…

Went out to break in my barrel…

The 170 Bergers did this from 3050fps to over 3300fps...

Attachments

• bergers.jpg
    bergers.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 123
Was that at 100 yds? What was your load(s)?
Thanks,
John

Remember my gun, my chamber. Lased 101 yards.

New Nosler brass, neck sized.

170 Bergers @ OAL 3.525". Electronically measured charge weights. Shot from the back of my pick up. Speed measured by a Magnetospeed v3.

28", 1-9 twist barrel with a "stock" 270 Wby freebore. I cannot even get the Bergers to touch the lands. I just made a guess with this OAL.

Sorry BJD for the hijack...

Starting from our top left, working to our right...

Ave 3206fps, ES 26, 73gr H-1000; Ave 3249fps, ES 21, 74gr H-1000; Ave 3286fps, ES 25, 75gr H-1000

Lower 2nd row, left to right...

Ave 3065fps, ES 35, 70gr H-1000; Ave 3113fps, ES 22, 71 H-1000; Ave 3156fps, ES 25, 72gr H-1000

From my above posted target...