264. Winchester Cdl Stock torque return question!

CrowsFoot

I don't know if I'm just the lucky dog here with my factory gun and at risk this may be a way to ruin a great thing but here goes. I sighted in my rifle with an old box of 140 gr core lokts and was routinely getting 1.5 groups with this round which was nothing to write home about. After around 40 rounds of this through my rifle I hand loaded the used brass with 130 gr Berger hunting vld over 60 gr of 7828 and cci 250 large Rifle primers.....First three round group was covered with a dime....I got a kick out of this and assumed it a lucky fluke. Until the next group after cooling produced another ragged hole. Then once again. I have not chronoed this load but I don't believe i will worry about speed at this point. My concern here is that although I am having what I can only chalk up as a miracle factory rifle....I would like to install my jewel trigger as the factory trigger is the worst feeling of all my rifles. Will removing the stock which still retains the factory pressure point to install my new trigger possibly ruin this performance. I know I ask this at some risk of getting bash for wanting to improve something that should not be touched but would like to hear your opinions...thank you

I think the OP is asking if he is risking ruining his accuracy if he takes it out of the stock to install the trigger. the answer is no. if it does it now it should do it again. However the likely hood that it is sensitive to action screw torque value is pretty high. because with that pressure pad the amount of torque on the screws dictates the amount of upward pressure on the barrel. What I would do is get a torque wrench and set it low and and start to try the screws slowly going up in small increments. once the screws start to move write that number down. then go ahead and take it apart and do what you need to do. When you put it back together put it at that number where the screws started to move. It may not be exact but it will get you really close and you can tinker with it until its right...OR maybe the gun is just going to shoot good every time you put it in the stock...there are more variables here like wood compression etc, but there is no way around all of that unless you bed it with pillars..**also make sure that recoil lug is seated well as you torque the screws down.

I understand the OP's query just making it's torqued accrdingly to spec as there's more trouble when over torqued.

gotcha! the urge to not leave well enough alone would over whelm me. I would probably go have it bedded with pillars so i could take it in and out of the stock and always know itll go back together the same. then if it didnt shoot right play with pressure on the barrel till it was right again.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.