.264 win mag

An elk, deer or antelope won't be able to notice the difference at 500 yards if a .264, 7mm, 270 WSM hit them. Truth is, I buy guns just to admire and have fun with them. Always looking for the perfect load to match up with the rifle I've just pulled from lonely corners of shops and garages. If I wanted one gun to do everything then I would choose the 7 RM because of the bigger bullet selection than what the 6.5 (264) offers. My hunting buddies would argue this with me and say a good ol' 270 will take anything (and they have plenty of proof) if the bullet selection and most importantly shot placement is correct. A 243 through the heart/lungs at 300 yds is just as lethal as the 338 with the same placement.

An elk, deer or antelope won't be able to notice the difference at 500 yards if a .264, 7mm, 270 WSM hit them. Truth is, I buy guns just to admire and have fun with them. Always looking for the perfect load to match up with the rifle I've just pulled from lonely corners of shops and garages. If I wanted one gun to do everything then I would choose the 7 RM because of the bigger bullet selection than what the 6.5 (264) offers. My hunting buddies would argue this with me and say a good ol' 270 will take anything (and they have plenty of proof) if the bullet selection and most importantly shot placement is correct. A 243 through the heart/lungs at 300 yds is just as lethal as the 338 with the same placement.

Mustang222 you hit it on the nail! Well said

I am trying to load some ballistic tip 140 grain bullets and my seating die are collapsing the tips. Has anyone else had this problem and if so how have you worked around it?

Thanks,

Muelrexp

It has been a few years since I posted about my 264 Win mag. It is a Rem 700 action with a Shilen CM 27 3/4" barrel in a Hogue full bed stock. I settled on a load of 66.5 grs Retumbo, CCI 250 primer, WW case reformed from 7mm Rem mag cases, 130 gr Nosler Accubond OAL 3.450 and it averages 3350 fps and shoots ragged hole groups at 100 yards. I have taken 7 WT deer with it now and I am impressed. All have been BANG FLOP and I have recovered only one bullet. It was taken from a buck shot at 111 yards. The buck was facing me with a slight left shoulder toward me angle. The bullet was placed on the edge of the scapula which is shattered and the buck just fell back on his butt and fell over dead. When I was cutting up the meat I found the bullet against the right ball socket in the ham. Bullet weight was 87 grs and bullet was a text book mushroom. First deer I shot with the 264 WM was a touch over 300 yards in a green soybean field. Buck came trotting down the edge of the filed and turned into the field about 15 minutes after it got light enough to see. He had his head down like a dog trailing. A hot doe must have gone across the field before it got light enough for me to see. I cranked the scope up to 12 and got on him quickly praying he would stop. He did, with a slight angled right shoulder toward me. I placed the cross hair in the center of his front shoulder. With my 3" high zero at 100 yards I would still be about 3/4" high at 300 yards. I squeezed the 2 1/2 pound trigger ever so slightly and BOOM POP almost at the same time was the sound. I thought "man that bullet got there quick." When the rifle came back down from the slight recoil the field was empty. Have you ever tried to find a deer in a HUGE green soybean field??? I looked for over an hour and went and got a friend to help me. I got back into the stand and directed my friend by radio to where I thought the deer was when I shot it. Turned out to be an optical allusion when you were out in the field looking back to the stand that had me looked too far to the right. I directed my friend right to the deer which he actually stepped on walking down the row of soybeans which they had covered up the deer. That buck fell literally in his tracks. He was laying with his legs folded under him and had his belly on the ground. Bullet entered almost exactly where I was aiming in the center of the right shoulder and exited just behind the left shoulder. Buck turned out to be a wide 6 pointer. He did not have any brow tines. That runs in the blood line in that area. If he would have had brow tines he would have been a nice typical 8 pointer. He made good hamburger. :D

I am trying to load some ballistic tip 140 grain bullets and my seating die are collapsing the tips. Has anyone else had this problem and if so how have you worked around it?

Thanks,

Muelrexp
What type dies do you have? I have used RCBS for several different calibers with no problem.Could be the cone in the end of the seating rod is not deep enough.

I have a Ruger Hawkeye 77 in .264 and am currently shooting 130 grain Nosler Accubonds over .5 grain below max of RL19; I believe its 58.0 grains. Don't know if anyone has a similair experience but my handloads wont chamber at the COAL of 3.340. I've had to shorten mine to 3.240 for them to chamber. It will chamber Remington factory 140's without a problem. Can't understand why. I really can't complain tho. This load shoots just a hair over a half inch and its not anywhere near a compressed load.
Anyone have a similiar issue or know why this may be?

Strange indeed.

If merely setting the bullet deeper allows the ammo to chamber I would first need to get a reading using a Hornady/Stoney Point COAL gauge followed by a bullet comparator to see how far the ogive sets forward on that bullet. Are you using a mechanical or digital set of calipers to measure your COAL ? If digital you may want to install a new battery and re zero the tool just to be sure and possibly check it against a mechanical one. I have never heard of any .264 mag throats set too short other than the original Win. Model 70 Westerner as it was progated to shoot the winchester special double diameter bullets and had to have the throats reemed to allow loading conventional bullets.

HOW SWEET !
They dressed it right with the classic stock but removed the iron sights that were on the original. Hope they did away with the original throat specs set up for the double diameter Winchester bullet too . If not you will play hell seating bullets if you try to reload. The original Westerner also had a block on the underside of the barrel that had an adjustable barrel tension screw through the forearm that altered the barrel whip to fine tune accuracy that hopefully went away and they floated the barrel . It worked but was more than most could cope with and many did not know what it was and over tightened it. Guess what happened then ?

10 Spot

I'm using a digital caliper, actually I have 2. The cases were full length resized. Odd, but I'm not bothered by it as it shoots great. Just wondered if anyone else experienced anything similiar.

Saw that one when they first brought it out as is an anniversary edition exclusive to Cabelas . I found it interesting they even put the solid red rubber recoil pad on it but opted to add a monte carlo cheek piece to the stock . Nice upgrade from the early originals.

Love reading this forum. Thanks to everyone for all of the info. FYI.... Picked up a brand new, made in America Model 70 in 264 Win Mag. A reintroduction of the Westerner. It's a beautiful piece, and shoots as good as it looks. Just finished scoping it and putting it on paper. I'll try to post pics.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 126
Two, three-shot groups....@ 100 yds. Factory ammo. The bottom group was the last one. Good enough... Packed up and headed home with empty, fire-formed brass. Can't wait to work up some hand loads :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 159
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.