.264 Win mag or 270 Weatherby mag. or 6.5 rpm ?

tribb

Would like to hear your thoughts on these 3 calibers ! I want to build a hunting rifle that I can carry . Does not need to be a super lite weight! It will not be for target shooting . Find a load, sight in,use it for two or three hunts a year.Steel barrel is fine. I kinda like my carbon barreled rifle I have though. Your thoughts and responses appreciated

I shoot and love all 3. For it's purpose I really like the 6.5RPM. I have it in a Backcountry Carbon and it is easy to carry, very accurate, and will run very close to the 264. For Elk on down with appropriate twist barrels they are all pretty similar. The 270 Wby is under rated. It's true the 277 doesn't have the massive bullet selection, but there are more than enough options to make it a very versatile cartridge near and far, on game big or small. For a one gun solution, the 270Wby with an 8 twist in a 7 pound rifle would certainly fill the bill.

Howdy, anytime someone puts 264 Wm. as a choice, that's my recommendation. From your write up you reload, another plus for 264. Now barrel twist, I can only guess that Weatherby put a 8 twist in there RPM. The other two need 8 twist barrel installed. Easy button is RPM and buy 4 or 5 boxes of shells for brass. Merry Christmas. 🤔 🎅

I built my father a .264 win mag on a ruger m77 action with sammi chamber, and it is an awesome rifle. Use ADG 7mm rem mag brass, put it through a sizing die, and load it. With a mild load of Retumbo it sends 156 Bergers at 3080 fps, however I didn't have any pressure signs until 3200ish fps. 3080 though is a ridiculously flat node, and spans almost 1.5 grains. For dies, you can get a .264 rem mag, or use a 7mm rem mag bushing die if you have one and the appropriate bushing for .264 cal, plenty of options.

I don't have experience with the other two, however if a standard bolt face is wanted, the RPM would be good, but I don't think it has as good of brass available.

Thank you for your
Howdy, anytime someone puts 264 Wm. as a choice, that's my recommendation. From your write up you reload, another plus for 264. Now barrel twist, I can only guess that Weatherby put a 8 twist in there RPM. The other two need 8 twist barrel installed. Easy button is RPM and buy 4 or 5 boxes of shells for brass. Merry Christmas. 🤔 🎅
Thank you for your help and happy 😌 Jesus' birthday

Thank you
I shoot and love all 3. For it's purpose I really like the 6.5RPM. I have it in a Backcountry Carbon and it is easy to carry, very accurate, and will run very close to the 264. For Elk on down with appropriate twist barrels they are all pretty similar. The 270 Wby is under rated. It's true the 277 doesn't have the massive bullet selection, but there are more than enough options to make it a very versatile cartridge near and far, on game big or small. For a one gun solution, the 270Wby with an 8 twist in a 7 pound rifle would certainly fill the bill.
Thanks Quintus Merry Christmas to you

I built my father a .264 win mag on a ruger m77 action with sammi chamber, and it is an awesome rifle. Use ADG 7mm rem mag brass, put it through a sizing die, and load it. With a mild load of Retumbo it sends 156 Bergers at 3080 fps, however I didn't have any pressure signs until 3200ish fps. 3080 though is a ridiculously flat node, and spans almost 1.5 grains. For dies, you can get a .264 rem mag, or use a 7mm rem mag bushing die if you have one and the appropriate bushing for .264 cal, plenty of options.

I don't have experience with the other two, however if a standard bolt face is wanted, the RPM would be good, but I don't think it has as good of brass available.
I like what you said makes perfect sense to me. Merry Christmas

I'll vote 6.5 RPM. I'm saving up for one now. I wanted a magnum 6.5mm of some sort.

My process went like this: I kind of went from picking the rifle I wanted and then the cartridge available in that rifle.
I've narrowed it down to the Weatherby Backcountry 2.0 or the Weatherby Accumark Pro. They're pretty much the same price, I'll pick one when the funds are saved up. ~5lb gun vs. ~7lb gun. I'll use some marketing mumbo jumbo from a Weatherby youtube and say "I'm buying a system."

Ammo is stupid expensive. I've already purchased brass and dies. Grafs.com has 50 count brass in stock. Petersons is running a batch of 6.5 PRM brass in early 2023 (I emailed them, they do make it and they will be doing a run soon). I will probably offload the Weatherby brand stuff as soon as I can get my hands on Peterson. In this day and age, components purchased first, rifle second.

If I was buying a factory rifle from another brand, a 6.5 PRC would work. If I was building, a 6.5 SAUM would be my choice.

R
I'll vote 6.5 RPM. I'm saving up for one now. I wanted a magnum 6.5mm of some sort.

My process went like this: I kind of went from picking the rifle I wanted and then the cartridge available in that rifle.
I've narrowed it down to the Weatherby Backcountry 2.0 or the Weatherby Accumark Pro. They're pretty much the same price, I'll pick one when the funds are saved up. ~5lb gun vs. ~7lb gun. I'll use some marketing mumbo jumbo from a Weatherby youtube and say "I'm buying a system."

Ammo is stupid expensive. I've already purchased brass and dies. Grafs.com has 50 count brass in stock. Petersons is running a batch of 6.5 PRM brass in early 2023 (I emailed them, they do make it and they will be doing a run soon). I will probably offload the Weatherby brand stuff as soon as I can get my hands on Peterson. In this day and age, components purchased first, rifle second.

If I was buying a factory rifle from another brand, a 6.5 PRC would work. If I was building, a 6.5 SAUM would be my choice.
Roger that