260 vs 6.5 creedmore with 140gn bullet

QQQQQ

Need your help I'm new to the 6.5 caliber but have heard great things and wanted to get one of these calibers. I have heard to reload the 260 with a 140gn bullet the bullet has to be seated deep into the case(to fit in a standard magazine) which takes away powder capacity. So is the creedmore a better option for shooting the 140gn bullets, actually leaving more powder capacity than the 260 even though the 260 has a little more total case capacity(hope that makes sense)? Any info you have will help. Using gun for me and my kids starting to hunt. Will be used mainly for mule deer and figured the heavier 140 would be the best option. Thoughts on any or all of my questions please come in. Thanks

You are correct with the 260 vers. 6.5 Creed with the 140 gr bullet. But is too close to really matter. if you have a look at the the Berger loading guide, with the 140 gr bullets some powders use slightly more in the 260 than the 6.5 Creed. So it is not a hard and fast rule. The loads will also have less than 50 fps difference in velocity.

The biggest difference is the availability of match grade quality factory target and hunting ammo for the 6.5 Creed. The Hornady ammo for the 6.5 Creed is exceptional and very well priced. This quality ammo for the 260 is pretty much non existent, at least in price.

lapua makes brass for the 260 and not the 6.5 Creed. But Norma and Nosler make excellent brass for the Creed. So brass quality is not an issue these days.

The Creed was designed as a target cartridge from the ground up and is proving to be very accurate and a wildcat 6mm Creed is now very popular. The 260 and the Creed run neck and neck in a lot of precision rifle competitions.

The biggest thing is whether you reload and which cartridge is available in the particular rifle you want.

The .260 gets a bad rap because the 140's need to be seated slightly deeper to fit a standard 2.800" magazine thus sacrificing a very small amount of case capacity. The 6.5 creed is a shorter case but can seat the bullet where it needs to be. Smaller case or bullet seated deeper equals the same dang thing. A 140gr bullet at 2750-2800fps. Both cartridges offer excellent ballistics and perform great on game, can't really go wrong with either choice.

For what its worth I have built a few .260's on Savage short actions and I have never had any problem seating the bullet where it needs to be and still fit the magazine just fine. Remington short actions on the other hand are a bit tighter.

Will Seating the bullet deeper cause any problems with accuracy? And are you saying the savage magazine is a little longer than most?

The .260 gets a bad rap because the 140's need to be seated slightly deeper to fit a standard 2.800" magazine thus sacrificing a very small amount of case capacity. The 6.5 creed is a shorter case but can seat the bullet where it needs to be. Smaller case or bullet seated deeper equals the same dang thing. A 140gr bullet at 2750-2800fps. Both cartridges offer excellent ballistics and perform great on game, can't really go wrong with either choice.

For what its worth I have built a few .260's on Savage short actions and I have never had any problem seating the bullet where it needs to be and still fit the magazine just fine. Remington short actions on the other hand are a bit tighter.

Will Seating the bullet deeper cause any problems with accuracy? And are you saying the savage magazine is a little longer than most?

Quade, Seating bullets deeper can impact pressure created in the case so also can impact accuracy. That said I have been shooting max loads of H4350 with the 120TSX seated at 2.710 COAL and accuracy has been great.

According to my Nosler 7 the 260 with a 140 at 2.800 has 47.4 gr of water and the 6.5 creed with a 140 at 2.825 has 46.8 gr of water. IMO the 260 is a great cartridge at 2.800 at 2.900 or more its fantastic.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

Yes I am saying the Savage magazine is a bit longer than most.

Even when having to seat a bullet to fit a magazine I have never found any trouble making the .260 Shoot. It's one of those cartridges that tend to shoot good no matter what unless there is something majorly wrong.

+1 on the savage mags. I have plenty of room.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts