260 rem vs 7mm-08 vs 284 win vs 6.5-284

silvertip-co

I was reading a recent American Rifleman about the 260 Rem. I was just curious what's the real diff in these 4 calibres if any? I mean with good hand loads in equivalent rifles arent they the same? I know the 6.5-284 is the darling of the br and lr crowd. Just curious about the rest.

While not the same, discussing the differences is kinda like splitting hairs. All will work for 1K target work and with proper bullet placement will do fine on deer size game out to say 700 yds.

Are you interested in a "same weight bullet" comparison (say 140s in all calibers) or a "heavy for caliber bullet" comparison (say 160s or 175s in the 7mms and 140s in the 6.5s)?

Chris

The 284 has more case capcity then the 308. The 284 is usually good for a couple hundred FPS more than the 308, the improved 08 narrows the gap. This is rifle/chamber/barrel/etc. dependent of course.

If you are shooting deer at 400 yards with each one, the deer will not be able to tell any difference. The one with the most energy at the longest distance, depending on which bullet you chose and how maxed out the load, is the 284 with the heavier bullets. All have well established accuracy records. Any of them can make a fine hunting caliber!

Like KRP said, the 284 case is good for 100 to 200 more fps than the 308 case when loaded to similar pressures. I guess the deciding factors for me would be what you are going hunt and if you are planning to use a long or short action. The 284 case works better in a long action if you are planning on shooting long VLD bullets.

David

Oh I didnt say I was goingto DO anything, I just wanted to resolve the differences, if any, between the 4 calibres in my mind. My Mod 70 7mm Rem Mag out shoots all 4 of them calibres any way so I dont have to do anything. But my curiousity is boundless, besides Beech Nut chewing tobacco my only addiction is ballistics.

ooooooooooooooh! I have all of them except the 284. For hunting last year I chose a 7mm WSM because I was planning a shot on whitetail deer beyond 700 yards and felt most confident in it. It was very effective at 786 yards. There is some good information on the capability of the 284 on 6mmBR.com under the most recent "Gun of the Month". Nothing wrong with the 7 mag!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.