260 rem vers 6.5 Creedmoor?

OK. Personal preference is personal preference. Question: Is this an internet opinion or have you actually fitted a Boyds stock?

I can understand how some might dislike the dipped urathane finish. Oiled wood is nicer.

Regarding final fitting, it took a couple seconds to square some edges.
I had to cut the relief for the Timney trigger but that is expected and I will have to do it if I try a B&C or Hogue. Actually, if I go Hogue, I can take it there and they will fit it to my Sendoro profile. Not sure if they can make it fit the Varmint taper. Because I use heavier profiles, the barreled action will always require fitting.

I really like the fit and LOP for me, of the Featherweight Thumbhole and Varmint Thumbhole. Same as I love the feel of my buddy's Christensen Thumbhole. Works for me on the bench+bipod, prone+bipod, bench rest, sand bags and offhand. I haven't tried shooting off a pack prone but that will get checked.

As for the AL block vs laminate. Stability of the laminate is very good. I have a couple B&C on Mark Vs. They are OK but I prefer wood even if it's laminate.

Just to be clear, a Boyds is $99 and the B&C from Stocky's is $247. A bit more than $100 difference but not that bad.

I will probably go with a B&C for my soon to arrive Mark V 6 lug. The Mark Vs are of course long term, projects. For now it will stay 270 but I am quite sure long term it will become a WSM platform so that the 2.82" or so limitation of the Vanguard short action is overcome. The Vanguard can then become Sherman Short Mag in .257 or 6.5.
Nope, price has nothing to do with it, I don't like how they feel, I don't like how they have to be final-fitted, I don't like how they don't have an alumuninum block in them, and I don't like the looks of them.

Price has zero to do with it.

I don't want any stock I have to final-fit before using. I don't mind bedding an action or floating a barrel...But I'm not gonna break out the wood chisels and have a hay-day on a stock just to be able to use it. I'll pay $100 more and get a B&C Medalist that only needs to be bedded, and has the AL block running majority length of the stock.

OK. Personal preference is personal preference. Question: Is this an internet opinion or have you actually fitted a Boyds stock?

I can understand how some might dislike the dipped urathane finish. Oiled wood is nicer.

Regarding final fitting, it took a couple seconds to square some edges.
I had to cut the relief for the Timney trigger but that is expected and I will have to do it if I try a B&C or Hogue. Actually, if I go Hogue, I can take it there and they will fit it to my Sendoro profile. Not sure if they can make it fit the Varmint taper. Because I use heavier profiles, the barreled action will always require fitting.

I really like the fit and LOP for me, of the Featherweight Thumbhole and Varmint Thumbhole. Same as I love the feel of my buddy's Christensen Thumbhole. Works for me on the bench+bipod, prone+bipod, bench rest, sand bags and offhand. I haven't tried shooting off a pack prone but that will get checked.

As for the AL block vs laminate. Stability of the laminate is very good. I have a couple B&C on Mark Vs. They are OK but I prefer wood even if it's laminate.

Just to be clear, a Boyds is $99 and the B&C from Stocky's is $247. A bit more than $100 difference but not that bad.

I will probably go with a B&C for my soon to arrive Mark V 6 lug. The Mark Vs are of course long term, projects. For now it will stay 270 but I am quite sure long term it will become a WSM platform so that the 2.82" or so limitation of the Vanguard short action is overcome. The Vanguard can then become Sherman Short Mag in .257 or 6.5.
I've never fitted a Boyd's stock, but I have fitted a stock before. I'm a metalsmith, not a carpenter. I don't own a Boyds stock and never will. I also don't use Timney triggers, therefore I don't have to worry about cutting a relief for any of them...I'll just buy a Jewell that drops right in.

I have done extensive woodworking before (and I used to lay tile, hardwood floors, and trim houses for a living), and it is not my cup of tea....Although I am a surgeon with anything involving metalworking or powertools or handtools (been custom fabbing for 16 years now).

$100 (needing work performed) vs $250 (drop-in)....I'll take the $250 stock anyday over the $99 stock. Number 1, it is more rugged, and number 2, it has an alumunum bed block. That is just MY preference, just like your preference is the Boyd's stock.

Function vs cost....Function is more important to me than saving $150.

If you like Boyd's stocks....Use them! I don't, therefore I don't use them.

Internet opinion or not, facts are facts and people will still use what they like, and will all like different things. That's why we have so many options.

Also, I personally think you will ruin a Sendero by putting it in a Boyd's......That HS Precision stock it came in will be a much higher quality and rigid unit.

H Wow! Mud ; its ooo kkkk!! Nothin to get warmed up about :cool:
I have a couple Boyd's laminate stocks one on my 9.3 . The JRS Classic and the Tacticool on my 6.5 Creedmoor. I REALLY REALLY like both of them.

I also have a Richard's Micro fit Tackdriver stock for my next build and it needs some work to get it to the overall finished quality of the Boyd's Tacticool. But, it is a very good shape and I think will excell when the rifle is on the sticks and I'm blowing on a call or operating an electronic call. The Tackdriver is a thumbhole w/ finger grooves that are big enough to still be comfortable when I'm wearing heavy gloves.
This is the Boyd's Tacticool

The reason I wanted the Tackdriver stock was the general shape of it, the finger grooves and the hand stop.
And I think it will make a cool rifle with dbm bottom metal and 10 round mags which will pay for themselves the first time I get into a pack of wolves.

For me it is a lot easier to work with wood than metal or synthetic. And IMO in the extreme cold the birch plywood won't break especially sideways which is important when tearing along on a snow machine. Or falling hard on ice ect. I've broke a couple synthetic stocks in the cold.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.