.260 rem rifle questions...

jordanP.

well I've wanted a .260 for a while now but haven't been able to find any in a rifle that felt 'right'. none of them really shot to my standards.... all were used and abused..... but anyway..... about how much would it cost me to say rebarrel a .243 or .308 rifle to a .260 and what rifle model or such would you recomend....

ps.... I am a poor college student so remember price is a huge consideration... but I also want it to shoot well under 1 moa.... I know right we all want that...

It would cost the same amount to re-barrel in 260 as it would to go with the origional caliber, so long as the bolt face was a .473" standard. If you're really on a tight budget I'd go with a savage so you could do it yourself and save some dough. If you plan to have it done by a smith anyway then I'd go with a rem 700.

If you have the gun already ,
you can get a chrome moly Douglas barrel from Brownells for $175 or so , their not the best but better than just about every factroy barrel I've seen.
Have it threaded and chambered to your gun for about another $175-$200 , if you can find a smith that will just install the barrel without trueing the action.

If you can swing a better barrel put the money their first and if some more is available then true the action , thats gonna ad another $300 or so to the total.

You can get pretty good accuracy from a cheap Douglas barrel and good chamber ,generaly better than about all factroy guns.

Re-barrel

jordanP.

I just took an old donor gun into McGowen Precision Barrels for a new barrel, chamber, and fit up etc. The cost is going to be much less than a new rifle off the shelf and they tell me that I will have a 1/2" gun. My total cost is about $500 or so. Thats for stainless and fluted.

You can go to their web page and they list all the services and prices they offer.

Also they are giving me a turn-a-round time of about a month.

Mine is not done yet so I can't comment on how it turned out, but for the price it seemed like a no brainer to me.

Good luck, Steve

I have a rem. 700 mountain rifle DBM in .260 rem. with a beautiful wood stock that is in very good shape, has less than 75 rounds fired that I might sell.
Drags

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.