260 brass question

jacack

what does everyone use for brass? I was thinking of forming some from 308 norma but wanted to know if it is worth the time,the remington stuff i bought is vvery poor from what i have checked so far.any thoughts would be helpfull

Jared

jared,
I have been using 308 lapua brass for my .260 AI.
You end up with a little shorter neck with the 308 brass ,but this doesn't bother me.
with the reamer I used, the neck is almost too tight,in fact there is a little bit of neck tension if you seat a bullet in a fired case without resizing it.But the loaded rounds feed and chamber freely and produce top notch acuracy.
I used this .260 for the first "f"class I ever shot in and it did good enough to get me first place /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

FWIW,
308nate

I'm necking up Lapua .243 for my .260ai. I prefer the Lapua over the RP. Too much work for me going from .308 to .260.

I just expanded some Lapua 243 brass. 200 pieces are within 1.5 grains in weight.
I still have 187 good pieces after 2000 rounds (that's 10 firings each). I'm pushing the 139 grain scenars at 2850fps.

sounds like the way to go,I have a ton of new norma 243 so i guess i will give them a try, richard what die did you run them in? just a redding fl die?

thanks
Jared

jared, I just run them into my Redding FL die. After initial firing they get neck sized in a Lee NS. I am shooting a .260ai, but same same. I've gotten 11 firings out of the Lapua & RP. The Lapua is a bit more consistent & nicer finished.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.