260 AI load data

Sorry I cant help here as I only have a 260 but this thread also got me thinking as I like all that an AI design stands for but I have to wonder why there aren't any common factory offerings in the AI cartridges.

Dies are available for the common ones?

Or does this go against the original cartridge designers of history & hence cause a further problem for a manufacturer?

Sort of asking the question of why we have to go to a custom gun maker to get a common AI cartridge in 2020?

Just curious is all, sorry to hijack the thread :)

The reason that factory ammo is normally not available for the AI's is that they are not SAMMI cartridges. the new Nosler 280 AI is a SAMMI cartridge because Nosler Applied for the SAMMI acceptance and It was approved. (It is still not the standard Ackley dimensions) but with it now being a SAMMI cartridge, you can buy ammo for it in the Nosler dimensions.

J E CUSTOM

Just for some info took my elk this year with the Hammer 6.5 121gr. Total complete penetration thru both front shoulders. DRT. The 121 Hammer thru my 1/8 or 1/9 twist rifles , superb accuracy. I used the Hammer in this rifle because it would not give me decent accuracy with the my traditional Barnes 120gr which has served me well over the years in other 6.5's. If accurate in your rifle I see no difference in performance on game, either brand.

Would yoube willing to share your load data for this?

I want to stress this loasd was absolutely safe in my rifle. Win 70 264 mag , 24" Douglas stainless Bbl, 1/8 twist. Rem brass, CCI #250 mag primer. Hammer 121gr bullet seated .020 off lands. 74grs Rel 33 for 3419 over my chrono. Not the slightest sign of any excessive pressure with excellent case life. This 8lb keg of Rel 33 is of a new lot I just purchased first of Oct 2019. I sure you understand different lots can be different burning speeds. Hope this is of value to you.

I want to stress this loasd was absolutely safe in my rifle. Win 70 264 mag , 24" Douglas stainless Bbl, 1/8 twist. Rem brass, CCI #250 mag primer. Hammer 121gr bullet seated .020 off lands. 74grs Rel 33 for 3419 over my chrono. Not the slightest sign of any excessive pressure with excellent case life. This 8lb keg of Rel 33 is of a new lot I just purchased first of Oct 2019. I sure you understand different lots can be different burning speeds. Hope this is of value to you.

Thanks, I thought you were shooting a 260ai. I'm working with 124g HH and Varget. Just wondered what others where getting out of it.

I do shoot a 6.5x308 wild cat & a Savage 260 Rem that gives me 3004 FPS ( 22" Bbl ) with the Barnes 120gr TSX. These have also taken several elk each but not "AI" version.

I am in the middle of getting the parts for a 260 terminator from Defensive Edge, it uses a fire formed case and a +p throat and should achieve 3100+ with a 140gr in my Lone Peak fuzion medium length action. I can seat out to 3.175.
I wasn't sure if you were still shopping or if you had parts already, just some more information.

I am in the middle of getting the parts for a 260 terminator from Defensive Edge, it uses a fire formed case and a +p throat and should achieve 3100+ with a 140gr in my Lone Peak fuzion medium length action. I can seat out to 3.175.
I wasn't sure if you were still shopping or if you had parts already, just some more information.
Did you finish the 260 Terminator? I am building one now and looking at load options since Re26 and 140s are tough to find. Thinking of trying the 124HHs with H4350/H4831SC/Re23.

Did you finish the 260 Terminator? I am building one now and looking at load options since Re26 and 140s are tough to find. Thinking of trying the 124HHs with H4350/H4831SC/Re23.

You won't be able to keep Hammer bullets consistently seated with the short neck. I tried every which way. It just doesn't work. N555 is your best powder for a 120-140g bullet in this case size. I am pushing a 127g LRX at 3130fps with it.

You won't be able to keep Hammer bullets consistently seated with the short neck. I tried every which way. It just doesn't work. N555 is your best powder for a 120-140g bullet in this case size. I am pushing a 127g LRX at 3130fps with it.
You mean in terms of consistent seating depth? I assume the PDR grooves mess with it somehow. Any chance it was a neck tension issue?

You mean in terms of consistent seating depth? I assume the PDR grooves mess with it somehow. Any chance it was a neck tension issue?

I played with seating depth, I played with neck tension, and I played with a crimp. You can only get two rings on the bullet in the neck the third ring barely goes in and there's not enough surface area left to hold it in place.

Put them in your mag well shoot one or two and you will see different OAL if you measure them. The need that 3rd ring to be in the neck so all 3 are holding the bullet. The neck on this as a AI or Terminator is just too short to hold it consistently.

Last edited:
I am in the process of a .260AI rebuild right now. I have everything but the reamer, as I lengthened the FB from .050" to .140" to run the 140 Hyb in an Accurate .308 Mag and get the bullet seated out a bit further. I tested feeding from the mag at this length with my 6.5SLR (no, it would not fully chamber but feeds slick as glass with some fired .243AI brass I necked up). Also checked it in a Lone Peak Fuzion TI with the longer feed ramp than other R700 clones, and still slick and easy loading while fitting in the mag and clearing the ramp.

Going from a 6.5SS that is a little long in the tooth and has a frustratingly slow Proof on it to a .260AI.

My goal is to run the 140 Hyb @ 2900 w. H4350. I think it should be attainable, as my 22" 6.5SLR can push a 140 @ 2800 easily, or a 130 OTM @ 2938fps. Adding the AI case capacity and 2" of barrel length should help get that 100fps I am looking for.

Reamer is ordered from JGS, due end of November

6.5CM vs .260 Rem vs. 6.5SLR (@ 2.168" CBTO w. .120" FB) vs .260AI (bullet is still seated a bit longer than I will run them at 2.280", probably -.080" from here, to 2.2008"CBTO)

20210624_085117.jpg

New Manners MCS-LRH
20210901_175355.jpg

Nope, I played with seating depth, I played with neck tension, and I played with a crimp. You can only get two rings on the bullet in the neck the third ring barely goes in and there's not enough surface area left to hold it in place.

Put them in your mag well shoot one or two and you will see different OAL if you measure them. The need that 3rd ring to be in the neck so all 3 are holding the bullet. The neck on this as a AI or Terminator is just too short to hold it consistently.
Very good info! So it is the PDR grooves that mess with it. I wonder if the Cutting Edge or PVA bullets may be better. I also see quite a few 143gr ELD-X that should work, but I bet I need Re26 to get the speed.

Very good info! So it is the PDR grooves that mess with it. I wonder if the Cutting Edge or PVA bullets may be better. I also see quite a few 143gr ELD-X that should work, but I bet I need Re26 to get the speed.

Any other bullet style will work. N555 is the RL26 for this cartridge, it has the same unicorn hooves and fairy dust supplier.

Any other bullet style will work. N555 is the RL26 for this cartridge, it has the same unicorn hooves and fairy dust supplier.
Of course. I did just find some N165. Any idea how that would compare? I have some Re23 and H4831sc so I think these are all going to be very similar burn rates.