26 Nosler Wildcats - 27 Nosler

• Thread starter Deleted member 46119
  • Start date
Would 3300 be achievable in a 26 in barrel with 165 matrix and 170 bergers

Sorry Can1010, I disagree. If you have a 27 Nosler, I would love to share data and refine the advice we can give.

Yes it can be done.

It's not nice on your brass.

It would be better to go with a 28" barrel and back down just a bit.

ADI AR 2218, VV N570 and RL-33 can all do it.

In my Weatherby Mark V actions, non-issue. However my 27 Nosler test mule is a R700. Gets sticky bolt at about 57K psi.

It would take 57k to 62k psi with the above mentioned powders.

Sorry Can1010, I disagree. If you have a 27 Nosler, I would love to share data and refine the advice we can give.

Yes it can be done.

It's not nice on your brass.

It would be better to go with a 28" barrel and back down just a bit.

ADI AR 2218, VV N570 and RL-33 can all do it.

In my Weatherby Mark V actions, non-issue. However my 27 Nosler test mule is a R700. Gets sticky bolt at about 57K psi.

It would take 57k to 62k psi with the above mentioned powders.

I am using quick load data you gave me early last year. only powder used RL-33. started at 84 high was 89 @3295 but killed brass 3 reloads. now using 87 @3250 with coated bullets. gun is savage 116 with 27 in benchmark 1-9 done on shoulder no nut

I am using quick load data you gave me early last year. only powder used RL-33. started at 84 high was 89 @3295 but killed brass 3 reloads. now using 87 @3250 with coated bullets. gun is savage 116 with 27 in benchmark 1-9 done on shoulder no nut

That was a 24" barrel. I know where my live fire data is but it's not where I am.

Does anyone have a Berger 170 grain EOL Elite Hunter bullet they could measure for me.

It's not in "Ballistic Performance of Rifle Bullets" that I have. I know there are updates to the book but how to get them...

what measurements you looking for. berger quick reference has them. if you need a few pm me will send some

JF, How have you been? Busy mad scientist'n and tinkering with cartridges:D Are you still working with 27 nos ? Have you heard any rumours if Nosler is going launch 27 in factory round anytime soon? I've been working successfully with 170 Berger in my 270wby. But if I knew which way Nosler was going togo with the 27 case design I might start a new build in spring. I looked on SAMMI site and didn't see anything for 27 Nos. As in how is Nosler going prevent 26,27&28 from cross chambering. Winchester moved 270 WSM's shoulder back to prevent 7mm from chambering in 270.

Gene

JF, How have you been? Busy mad scientist'n and tinkering with cartridges:D Are you still working with 27 nos ? Have you heard any rumours if Nosler is going launch 27 in factory round anytime soon? I've been working successfully with 170 Berger in my 270wby. But if I knew which way Nosler was going togo with the 27 case design I might start a new build in spring. I looked on SAMMI site and didn't see anything for 27 Nos. As in how is Nosler going prevent 26,27&28 from cross chambering. Winchester moved 270 WSM's shoulder back to prevent 7mm from chambering in 270.

Gene
Hi Gene,

I have the SAAMI spec for the 27. Yes, Nosler moved the shoulder back .057. Like the 30 this is just enough to prevent firing pin strike or bolt close.

If history is any indicato,r the next caliber in the Nosler line will be announced at Shot Show. Will it be the 27 or the 33 (338)? I don't know.

Midway has dies listed: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/708759/rcbs-2-die-set-27-nosler

JF, which brass would be better to resize. The 26 and move shoulder and neck up or 30 neck down and no shoulder movement. Then there is the 28? What have u done and found produces best results? The dies will be in late Oct. I think I'm going to look into Benchmark barrel. I believe I can get a 1:8 fluted barrel if i recall past research I did. Already found a donor 7mm Sav. 110 donor.

Thank is again.
Gene

JF, which brass would be better to resize. The 26 and move shoulder and neck up or 30 neck down and no shoulder movement. Then there is the 28? What have u done and found produces best results? The dies will be in late Oct. I think I'm going to look into Benchmark barrel. I believe I can get a 1:8 fluted barrel if i recall past research I did. Already found a donor 7mm Sav. 110 donor.

Thank is again.
Gene

I can't find my 30-Nosler drawing, so, I don't have a good answer on which brass to use. From PTG cross reference chart, they are not the same. If the shoulder location is the close on the 30 vs the 27 it would be much easier to use 30 than anything else.

An 8tw for the 195s sounds good to me. I used a standard 10tw but it was just for testing.

I had all my chambers made with the same go/no-go gauges.

I can't find my 30-Nosler drawing, so, I don't have a good answer on which brass to use. From PTG cross reference chart, they are not the same. If the shoulder location is the close on the 30 vs the 27 it would be much easier to use 30 than anything else.

An 8tw for the 195s sounds good to me. I used a standard 10tw but it was just for testing.

I had all my chambers made with the same go/no-go gauges.

Who makes a 195gr 270 bullet?! That's gotta be a long monster!

We took our 27 Nosler out for its first range session yesterday.

Rem 700 action
28" Excalibur barrel in 7" twist
Small Pain Killer brake
McMillan stock bedded

All put together by BignGreen

We built this rifle to run 168g Hammer Hunters. We used 28 Nosler brass and know now that we should have used 30. Had to neck up to 30 then down to 27 in order to get a false shoulder so that they could be fire formed. For fire forming and barrel break in we ran a mild load of RL-33 at a vel around 2700fps. This was able to shoot some very nice sub moa groups at 620y shooting and cleaning. Never did get any copper fouling to speak of. Was very happy to see that, as it has been a concern for us with the new softer copper that we are now using. Our PDR design plays a big role in this as well.

After break in and all the brass was formed we started working up a load using RL-33. Work up was very smooth with consistent vel gains with each grain up in charge. We had hoped for about 3100fps. We worked up to a full pressure load then backed off 2g to settle at 84g RL-33 for a vel of 3238fps. At this point we ran out of daylight and were unable to get it completely rung out. Accuracy is looking very good. 620y impacts were very predictable.

This looks to be a legit 800y elk rifle. Very pleased.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.