26 Nosler Build Question

Bruz

I am putting together all the parts for 26 Nosler Build and I need some basic information concerning bullet weights and twist rate.

This is what I have so far:

1. McMillan A3-5 Magnum Fill, Heavy Varmint Contour,3 Studs and6 FlushMounts

2.Ruger MKII Stainless Steel M77 Action ( Originally 7RM)

3.Timney Trigger

4. PTG Bottom Metal

The issue I have is on the 26 inch fluted varmint contour barrel 5R… If I'm shooting 120 grain Barnes TTSXs and Berger 130 grain Hunting what twist rate should I order from Dan Lilja?

Thanks

IMO 8tw maybe even down to 7tw.

You can go slower but you gain nothing and loose on heavier bullets which will come later. Like Barnes 127 LRX (8tw min) or CEB 140 MTH (7tw)

I'd go 3 groove 7 twist and give the 140 CEB's a try. The CE bullets have proved very easy to tune and are crazy accurate in two of my rifles. Only problem is the price, but for hunting I think they are well worth the coin. For shooting paper there are plenty other options.

Reuben

I'd go 3 groove 7 twist and give the 140 CEB's a try. The CE bullets have proved very easy to tune and are crazy accurate in two of my rifles. Only problem is the price, but for hunting I think they are well worth the coin. For shooting paper there are plenty other options.

Reuben
What he said.:D

An 8 twist will stabilize a 140 VLD in my 6.5-284 just fine.

But as I mentioned on the other site, make sure you can eject a loaded round in the action. A RUM won't fit and a 7mm rem mag with a VLD or wildcat will just barely make it.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.