.257?

dahunta

ive been trying to get in to the f class stuff and am building a 6.5 284 off of a sendero action at the moment but was wondering something....i have a sendero in .2506 and it spits the 115 berger vld's out pretty good.why don't i ever about anybody competing with one of these every now and then. with a .523 bc it should be okay for somebody starting out in f class who is wanting to learn before they jump in shouldnt it?

There is a scarcity of high quality match bullets in 257. Given that a rifle barrel can be finicky about which bullet it shoots accurately, it is a gamble to build a competition rifle in a caliber that has a limited selection of match bullets.

A fellow I know shot some local F-class matches with a .25-06 rifle. Burned out the throat, pulled the barrel, shortened and re-chambered it to .257 (I think he went the AI route) and is happily shooting it still. Doing rather well too. He prefers the .257 Roberts over the .25-06 for this purpose.

As an aside, this year I started using 115 gr Berger VLD's from my .25-06 hunting rifle. They are quite accurate even from a factory built sporter rifle. I think from a well built match rifle, they could be superb.

As far as your question goes - sure! Why not? Load up some Bergers in that bad boy and go shoot some F-class!

Regards, Guy

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.