257 Weatherby mag

JohnnyL

Hello I'm new to the group.

I'm looking to reload for my .257 Weatherby mag using Hornady 110 grain eld-x. Haven't had any luck finding any load data yet. Planning on using H-1000. Looking for a safe starting point.

Welcome. My .257 was my first custom and first one to load for. Amazing guns.
Start at 67gr and go up.
I have been running the 115 nosler for a few years now with amazing success out to 638 yards on a pig. I started at 67 and went up with h1000.
I'm thinking of trying rl33 cause it seems to add speed to my other things running h1000

I've owned more 257wby mags than any other cartridge. Have killed nearly 60 whitetails with one. Awesome cartridge. I think you will find that imr7828ssc will be the best. Start at 70 gn of h1000 for your 110. Start at 67 with 7828. It's funny I've loaded for the 257roy for so long I wrote those starting loads from memory and then found the page you needed. I was only off on the 7828 I thought 66. Bib makes a 110 that has a .520 bc that shoots from 10 twist very good. It's my go to bullet. And the 100 ttsx is my other favorite.
Shep

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200509-230155.png
    Screenshot_20200509-230155.png
    300.2 KB · Views: 117
JohnnyL welcome here! I myself haven't been on this forum for that long myself but am glad I joined, both for the knowledge and moreso the conversation in general with people as crazy (or even far crazier) as I am about the little details and the science of handloading and ballistics - most of the people I actually shoot with or talk in person with aren't all that interested in the kind of things we love to talk about here, only one of my friends even reloads.
I have no .257 experience or Eld x experience so my opinion is nothing but a hunch...
I'd be super curious to see what IMR Enduron 7977 does with your cartridge and bullet.
I see you're a fellow Canadian, so you'll especially see the appeal the temp insensitivity (though I've heard h1000 is good for that too) but more than that I've heard some complain that the eld x bullets in particular is bad for copper fouling quickly - 7977 has a copper fouling eraser in it.
25WSM suggests 7828ssc is best and he DOES have a ton of experience with the round so I'd say listen to that...and know that 7977 is meant to approximate the burn rate of that great powder - and is comparable to h1000 too - (it is a tad slower, I do have experience with both powders in .270 and .300 win) while being able to exceed its max FPS at equal chamber pressure (double base) with temp insensitivity and copper fouling erasing. So that's my welcome and my hunch...try the 7977!

110s at 3450 and 100s at 3650 kill so quick it just amazing. Just a great cartridge. I've gotten over 1000 rounds out of every barrel that I've shot out. And amazingly a 24 inch barrel doesn't lose much compared to the 26. Ground hogs out to 500 yards don't stand a chance either.
Shep

I haven't tried the endurons in my 257s but I suspect your hunch is right on Calvin. I have found in the 257 that 7828ssc to not be very temp sensitive. It's easy to test for yourself. Just put a few in the freezer and let them rip. My test confirm that at below freezing my tune stays good and I lose only 35 fps from a 70 degree load. Rl22 is a great powder in the 257 but it loses over 100 fps in the same test. Found out the hard way about the rl22. If you get a good node going with the h1000 you will be in good shape.
Shep

I haven't tried the endurons in my 257s but I suspect your hunch is right on Calvin. I have found in the 257 that 7828ssc to not be very temp sensitive. It's easy to test for yourself. Just put a few in the freezer and let them rip. My test confirm that at below freezing my tune stays good and I lose only 35 fps from a 70 degree load. Rl22 is a great powder in the 257 but it loses over 100 fps in the same test. Found out the hard way about the rl22. If you get a good node going with the h1000 you will be in good shape.
Shep
Oh yes I too have "learned" about Rl22, also the hard way, as in hadn't been handloading for even a year yet, worked up a smokin' hot and stupid accurate load in my .270 in November (in what is considered northern Saskatchewan - geographically about the middle :) )...only to find that my awesome load seized up the bolt come June - this constituted a nearly 50 degree celcius difference. Original 7828 and 7828 ssc didn't do that, but it does swing wider than the enduron powders when the temp difference is great, never in a "is this even safe?" way though.

Thanks for all of of the information everyone! Looks like I'll start with 70gr of H-1000 and work up from there. Might give 7828 a shot as well.

I like 7828ssc in mine...always shot good. Just like most above I found a good node with the 115 berger with h-1000 at about 71.5 grains (not hot bit dime size groups, might try some magnum too...but I think you will be hard pressed to beat -RE22,h-1000, or 7828ssc

Depending on barrel length it's gonna be tough to beat rl33. 26" plus it's awesome. I'm pushing the 115's at 3480fps with h1000. May be a bit to slow of burn for a 24" tube.
I am a bit worried that the rl33 would be more temp sensitive than h1000 but hasn't seemed to be in my win mag or .375 AM

Temp sensitivity is different in each cartridge the powder is loaded in. Even bullet weight changed it some. The only way to know exactly what your drop in speed will be is to do the test in your own rifle. This is why there is no charts from the manufacturer telling us a percent per degree of speed drop. It's to variable. But I definitely do not load rl22 and rl26 anymore.
Shep

Temp sensitivity is different in each cartridge the powder is loaded in. Even bullet weight changed it some. The only way to know exactly what your drop in speed will be is to do the test in your own rifle. This is why there is no charts from the manufacturer telling us a percent per degree of speed drop. It's to variable. But I definitely do not load rl22 and rl26 anymore.
Shep

man learn something everyday. I'm always worried about that so I tend to do load work in summer then just check speeds right before I go hunting

Do the freezer test. Drop a couple in the freezer and chrono them. If you need to go to a range put them on ice in s cooler. Gets you close.
Shep

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.