257 roberts

deerslayer64d

I am trying to work up a load for my bob I want to use 117gr round nose bullets . the gun I am using is a bedded rem action with a floated shiling #5 barrel at 24" in a boyds lam thumbhole stock. I tryed IMR4831 with good results with 41.5grns witch is the starting load in my manual ! how do you guys feel about using that light a load for deer ? should I keep serching ? I had this gun built last year for my 12 yr old girl and it wasent finished intime to work up a load so I sighted it in with winchester factory 117gr loads so she could hunt the last weekend of the season with her new gun . with the factory loads I could only get 3/4" groups! I welcome any advice or info on proven loads with the 117gr round nose . Thanks in advance !! " frustrated " :eek:

P.S. I tryed IMR 4831 loads from 41.5 grns to 44 grns in 1/2 grn advances , best results being with 41.5 as stated above .

I am trying to work up a load for my bob

I had to read that a couple of times before I finally caught on. I was quite worry for a bit.:D

3/4" groups w/factory ammo sure ain't bad. In fact 3/4" groups w/any ammo is deer accurate as for as far as you'll probably shoot your "bob".

I'd consider loading you load until you get similar primer markings as with the factory ammo or case extraction/bolt lift pressure signs and call that max.

More importantly, I'd load to what ever levels you daughter is comfortable with and let 'er do some shooting. The deer won't know the difference.

Also, why round nose? This may indicate that you are thinking about shooting through some brush? Which may also give indication of shooting distances. I successfully use a 7x57 w/round noses, 170s I believe, at some kind of slow velocity (factory ammo - very short barrel) with great success on PA white tails.

She's a lucky girl to have such a nice rig and such a thoughtful Dad.

T/Y for the reply .recoil is no factor as she had ben shooting her moms 308 for two yrs . your right 3/4 aint bad and is deer dead but I feel it will do much better I just have to find what it likes .( Also, why round nose? ) mostly cuz I dont know any better and thats what I shot in my 257 when I was a kid . I did try some nosler bt in 115gr with h4350 and had pritty much the same results the lower end or starting loads shot better . both loads were under 3/4 " my question is are the starting loads adequate for hunting deer size game out to 200 or so yrds ? her shot last yr was 190 yrds with factory ammo .

Last edited:
200 yds, yes

Even your round nose bullets started at about 2500 fps will be adequate to 200 yds, but barely. Why not use the nosler bt, then you will get there for sure. That is a very good deer bullet. The bt will shoot a little flatter if that deer of a lifetime steps out at 250 yds.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.