257 Roberts

tomme_boy

Anyone have any experiance with the Roberts? This cartridge has had my attention for awhile now. I just rebarreled a mauser for this and was looking for any favorite loads to start out with. I tried some 100gr Sierra HPBT match today over 43gr IMR4350. I was just fireforming brass, but was not happy with the results of the group while doing this.

I have a 700 Classic in 257 Roberts.
I am shooting Nosler 100 gr BT's with 45.0 grs IMR4350, R-P case and Federal GM210M primer.
This load consistantly shoots in the .5"s and is safe in my rifle.

JD338

I have had a 257R for many years and really like it for deer and antelope.It is a Browning Safari from the early 70's. My pet load is 49gr H4831(old ww2 surplus) in a winchester case,cci250 primer toped off woth a 117gr Sierra.This load chrono's at 2960 in a 24" tube and shoots sub moa. I have made kills on deer& antelope in the 400yd range back in the 1970's. Great ctg mild recoil.

Where the cases that you used the new +P cases or the standard ones? I have the +P cases. Have you any experiance with the new cases, how much less cappacity is there between the two? Reason being, I was getting very flat primers with the 43gr load. I was using Fed GM219M primers if that makes a differance. This was the first time using this primer ever so I do not know how they act like the normal CCI's. I know certain primers are softer than others, but just can't remember which ones are the soft ones. Thanks.

I am using standard R-P cases and Federal GM210M primers with no pressure signs.
Case life is good too, 9-10 loadings. I neck size in RCBS dies.

JD338

I am loading a Ruger MarkII and using 49.5grns of H-4831sc under a 100grn Sierra game king in remington cases and remington 9.5 primers. This is pushing the load at just over 3100 fps and have put down, pigs out to 200 yards and a turkey out to 196 yards.

Tomme boy
I shot a 700 Roberts for about 5 years. It was a new in box left over classic from the 80's. It was one of the most fun rifles I've owned, don't know why I sold it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif IMR 4895 shot tiny groups with 100 NBT's but no FPS.
I had two good fast loads one with R-19 and one with R-22
I almost gave up then tried a CCI Mag primer with a max load of 22 and it all came together. 1/2 MOA @ 100 and MOA at 500 (100 NBT 3140 FPS) This combo had taken piles of deer. I will have another in the future.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.