.257 87 grain TNT projectile does not exit?

MikeMurf0505

I am loading a Speer 87 grain TNT projectile in my 25-06 Rem.
I use 58 grains of H4831SC which is supposed to closk in at 3500 FPS.

I have seen several posts, both on Bullet vendor's website reviews of this projectile, and various other places, that say:
"nice bullet....blah, blah, blah (and it is a great bullet), does not exit on Coyotes either"

Does anyone shoot this round in any .25 caliber firearms?
Does this projectile NOT exit on Coyotes at .....a given range?

I'll be shooting some Coyotes (hopefully) next week in PA, but I'm dying to hear if anyone has experience with this 87 grain TNT projectile.

Thanks in advance.

I will have to dispell or prove this rumor myself, looks like.

I will keep you all informed what the results are.

I have been shooting mainly 25's for last 25 years never used that bullet. However i have used and had a lot of success with the sierra and hornady 87 out of a 25-06 and 250 ack.imp. Taken numerous whitetail in md. and pa mostly 1 shot kills and they dont exit. IMO it did its job stayed in and most cases made a mess but dead is dead.
mike

I have used the sierra 90 grain hpby on a giant doe and dropped her in her tracks, no exit.
I have used he Winchester 120 grain Positive Expanding Point factory round on three deer last year -a Buck at 100 yards, and two does at 200 - no exit.
Very good load.

This "TNT" load is advertised to not exit on coyote - so I'll let you know (hopefully) if thats true or not in a few days.

I'll be in central PA, but have to kinda go door to door to get some spots.
With all the Turkeys, Coyotes, and wood chucks (public enemy number one), I'll be all over the place, to be honest.

Videos and photos to follow.....

I love this bullet in my .25-06, which I use for calling contests and for fun. Accurate, fast and hard hitting. But, there isn't any bullet that will not exit all the time. Some of my more memorable yotes killed the 87 TNT blew probably 2 lbs of meat out the off side and a cantelope size hole (several cost me a win for heavy dog in a contest :D). Makes it easy to find them though. Usually 2 or 3 feet away. I hit many at over 400-500+ yds. with no exit though, dead as a stone.

Jerry

In my Rem 700 Sendero (26" barrel) I get the same point of impact from a Winchester 90 grain PEP (positive Expanding point) factory round at 200 and 300 as I get with the 87 grain with 58 grains of H4831SC. I havent tried the comparision out past 300 though.

They make a 120 GR PEP, which I love on deer, drops them like a rock. I used to use a 90 grain Sierra HPBT with 54.5 grains of IMR-4350, but this gun doesnt like that combo.

I believe the TNT bullets are really designed for slower speeds than you are probably shooting them.?? In other words, they are nearly frangible at higher velocities. It doesn't suprise me that they wouldn't exit alot of times if that is the case. They may be coming apart inside the coyote and not have enough bullet mass left to carry on through. Complete penetration certainly isn't necessary, unless you need to blood trail one.

I used to shoot 85 grn Nosler BT's out of the 25-06 at around 3600'/sec. Most of the time they would exit, especially if it was a broadside lung shot. If I am remembering correctly, the TNT bullets are really recommended to be used at slower speeds? I think the Sierra Blitz bullets are the same. There are probably other bullets out there too that were really designed for use in slower 25's like the roberts and such. The only danger in using a nearly frangible bullet is if a very close shot hits bone first (point of shoulder, ect) it may not be able to penetrate into the vitals. I had this happen once on a Raccoon at about 5 yds with a 52 grn HP coming out of the Swift at 3700'/sec...........had to shoot it again.

Last edited:
Mike, SBruce,

the TNT line of varmint slugs is limited to 3,490 or below. I have a 257 Rob. I love the gun.. tack driving machine from day one. I use 90 grain HPBT sierras. one of three powders and their appropriate weights. also use a 65 Grain V-max that blows yotes off their feet if hit broad side. I also own a 25-06.. never shot it yet. its a VS model of the Rem 700 but I have just never shot it.. picked it up somewhere at a gunshow for about 100 bucks and it went into the safe never to be handled again.. recently dusted it off and inspected it.. still do not know what I am going to do with it. but one day I think I will shoot it. my 257 does nicely for the yotes when I do not care about the hides.. summer time and spring. but for hide retension.. I will only use pelt saver topped 223 WSSM, or V-max topped 17 Rem. since pelt savers do not come in 17 cal. I have to use what few slugs come in 17.
I know for a fact that 17 Rems do not leave a big hole and they do not exit the coyote.. however they do make the heart and lugs look like a shotgun hit them. the 223 WSSM well 35 grain speer gold dot and varget get the job done really well.
happy hunting..
Fred the gunsmithgun)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.