250 VS 300 Berger .338?

WEATHERBY460

I shoot the 300 in a 338 Lapua at 2760fps....would the 250 give me a flatter shooting...or be a better choice for shooting paper? thanks

This question brings more questins. Are you ever going to hunt with the rifle? If so I would use what ever bullet you intend to hunt with so you can get drops worked out and get wind dope down.

What distances? The bottom line is the 250 will start out faster and flatter unless you are going long, then in the end the 300 will be the faster bullet with less drift.

I see things like this. I use my rifles to their full potential as far as distance. Also I am a hunter first then a target shooter. I know not all my hunting shots will be at max range, but if that shot presents it self I want all the help from a bullet I can get. That especially includes wind drift, retaned energy and retained velocity. This is why we have been shooting 230's in my sons 300 win. It starts slower than a 210 but by 1000 yards the 230 is now passing the 210 with retained velocity and is now carrying 130 lbs more energy.

I shoot long range alot and have for years. You won't find many of the lighter for caliber offerings in my bullet cabinet. If you intend to use that 338 LM for anywhere near the distance it is accurate to, I would not sell it short with a lighter bullet. I got over the " faster flatter" thing long ago.

Thats just my opnion from what I see in the field with side by side testing. However you will find forum experts with a different opinion I am sure.

Jeff

I agree broz....basically the 300 will keep going longer and harder then the 250...i just wanted to make sure the berger 250 didnt have secret powers

I agree broz....basically the 300 will keep going longer and harder then the 250...i just wanted to make sure the berger 250 didnt have secret powers

I do think the 250's will have a place and caliber that it will shine. Just won't be in a 338 Lapua at the longer distances for me.

Jeff

Does anybody have any experience shooting the Berger 250's in .338 LM? Just curious how they shoot and what kind of OAL they might have.

I've shot a number of the 300's, but where they need to be seated, I can't fit them in my mag.

I have shot the 250's.
I stepped down from the 300's to the 250's because like LayinItDown mentioned, 300's don't fit into a factory 700 mag (this is for the .338 RUM of course).

They shot VERY well out to 1000 yards. They had a fair bit less drop and almost the same wind drift as the 300's. I was happy with them. I have not shot them past the 1000 yard mark yet, and probably wont. the 300's really pull away from the 250's at that point... more in energy than wind, and so for me, the verdict is...

250's under 1k
300's over 1k.

the 250's also had less felt recoil by... well, enough to notice.

I just bought a Wyatt`s mag well for it so I can fit the 300`s, but might stay with the 250`s just because I can.

I used the Hybrids on a spring bear this year. Unfortunately I was in a rush and got no exit pics. At 200 yards (I know... too close) the exit was right around 1". I punched through both shoulders.
it was about 5:00 pm on a Sunday, had to work the next morning at 6:00am:rolleyes:. Why, always on a Sunday evening???

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.