250 sierra matchking

dc3483

I have 1,000 .338 250 gr sierra matckkings and im getting a 338 lapua built for hunting ,has anyone used these for hunting ? i know most shoot the 300 gr but wondering if these work well to. thanks dustin

Many years ago I shot an elk broadside with one at 70 yrds. He ran off over a rise and into some forrested draws with no sign of being hit, and no blood trail whatsoever...found him next next day (200 yards from where the shot was made) with a near perfect .338 hole drilled through and through at the top of the heart. No sign of expansion at all.

After that experience, I used only Nosler 250 PTs in my .338 Win. Mag.

From what's been posted lately, people are successfully using the Berger Match bullets on game, but I wouldn't use those Sierra MatchKings on game.

Many years ago I shot an elk broadside with one at 70 yrds. He ran off over a rise and into some forrested draws with no sign of being hit, and no blood trail whatsoever...found him next next day (200 yards from where the shot was made) with a near perfect .338 hole drilled through and through at the top of the heart. No sign of expansion at all.

After that experience, I used only Nosler 250 PTs in my .338 Win. Mag.

From what's been posted lately, people are successfully using the Berger Match bullets on game, but I wouldn't use those Sierra MatchKings on game.

Inside 300 yrds you wont get many people saying its an ideal bullet choice, its just going too fast and will more than likely blow up before hitting vitals, past that the SMK has and will continue to be an effective bullet choice for many long range hunters, until the 307 Amaxs comes out, they had better make millions!!!

Yes Ive used them for hunting,light skined game, very effective, some may say the 250 gr is all you need out to 1000 yrds, you choose

300WSMMAD

Last edited:
A friend of mine (a member here) uses them in his Kahn. He spends lots of time and money on his hunts, so I would give them a nod if they shot as well as the 300's do in my rifle.

Thanks for the replies, I need as many with experience that have killed from elk down to post as I need to let my smith know if I want him to throat for this bullet or not.keep posting if you have used these , they will probably be shot at around 3,000 fps , 26 inch abs barrel saturn liner.thanks Dustin

I've used the 190 SMK in my 300 Win Mag on Barbary Sheep with a perfect heart shot. I had to hit him two more times to bring him down at 314 yards. It may have been my last shot which was a Nosler B.T. to finish the job, but again, these animal have a history of being tough! However, having said that, I have a 338 RUM and am using 250 Gr SMK's and that accuracy is great! I may give them another chance, as a buddy of mine has used them many times and has never experienced an issue with bringing down an animal.

Been using the 250 SMK for many years and have killed more feral hogs than I can remember and ranges from 200 to 800 and they all died a quick death.

if it's just a throating issue, set it for the 250. if you use a 300, you can't put as much powder in anyway. as the throat eroads you can chase the lands. and don't believe if you set the bullet forward you'll get a bunch more velocity. just not true.
as far as the 250's for hunting, they're not gonna blow up on the surface. smaller calibers yes, but not the 338's. my personal opinion is that once in a while, the cavity behiund the tip gets filled with whatever and these are the ones that can pencil right through. i have nothing scientific to back this up, but i used to drill open the tips to guarantee expansion. every once in a while, i found the cavity was jamed full of wax or something which could make it act like a solid. again, just my personal theory and why.

The experience I had with the 250 SMK occurred over 30 years ago. Perhaps Sierra has changed the SMK construction since then so that today it is more suitable as a game bullet.

I know the 300 SMK is a favorite hunting bullet for the big .338s

Since the 300 seems to work so good and have no problem opening up you would think the 250 at higher velocity would do awesome,is their any difference in the jackets of the 250 vs 300 also what Dave said makes since as i have noticed wax in some of the tips, please keep commenting if you have used these on game.thanks Dustin

i can assure you the 300 won't open up easier than the 250. generally speaking the 250 is traveling and spinning faster. i've heard from several very experienced long range hunters that the 300 will just pop right through deer without much affect on them. it's very rare but does happen occassionally. with elk the 300 probably can't be beat. it's big, bad medicine.
Sierra uses the same jacket to make both bullets but the wall thickness around the tip is about .001 thicker on the 250 with the same hollow point cavity on both.

Since the 300 seems to work so good and have no problem opening up you would think the 250 at higher velocity would do awesome,is their any difference in the jackets of the 250 vs 300

Sounds logical but in my testing and experience on game, the 250's just weren't as reliable at opening up as the 300's are. Some of the 250 would blow a hole big enough to put your fist through and then other times, the entry wound was bigger than the exit! The 300 grain bullet for whatever reason seems to be more consistent and have results more in the middle.

Thanks for all the input ,I go on several big hunts a year shooting at big deer and spending alot of money so I was just wondering about the sierra as I have always shot berger, Good grouper I saw you have a gun with a abs barrel Ive got two coming one a 338 lapua 1-10 satern liner and a 7mm wsm 1-9 also satern , how do you like yours? thanks Dustin

Thanks for all the input ,I go on several big hunts a year shooting at big deer and spending alot of money so I was just wondering about the sierra as I have always shot berger, Good grouper I saw you have a gun with a abs barrel Ive got two coming one a 338 lapua 1-10 satern liner and a 7mm wsm 1-9 also satern , how do you like yours? thanks Dustin

I love mine. Stays cooler longer and that is important on those big .338's!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.