25?

huntwithme

my question is how close does the 25/06 come to the 257 weatherby in fps and energy when they both have 24 inch barrels. if they both shoot 110 grn accubonds.
i'm looking for an antelope rifle and I have a 270 wsm already. I was also looking at a 6mm Ackley . I've got some cash burning a hole
thanks

my question is how close does the 25/06 come to the 257 weatherby in fps and energy when they both have 24 inch barrels. if they both shoot 110 grn accubonds.
i'm looking for an antelope rifle and I have a 270 wsm already. I was also looking at a 6mm Ackley . I've got some cash burning a hole
thanks

My .25-06 AI and .257 Wby were within 100 fps of each other, both with 26" barrels, same powder, and bullets, but the .25-06 AI used 10-15 grains less powder to achieve these results. The '06 is definitely a more efficient case when you get into the smaller diameter bores.

My suggestion is .25-06 or .25-06 AI.

Hunt, not knowing specifics of your .270 WSM it has what is needed to easily take antelope. It is ballisticly equal given proper choice of bullet. Perhaps that which burns holes could enhance the .270, barrel, scope or stock if needed and have some burn left to finance the hunt. Good luck

my 257 weatherby vanguard series 1, with 24" barrel pushes 110 accubonds @3200, I could probably make it go faster with seating it farther, or changing powders but it came with a load already worked up and I didn't bother to mess with it. I doubt many factory 25-06 can get close to that....my vote is for the weatherby.

A rebarrel or at least a rechambering for 100 fps or so, doesn't seem hardly worth the trouble or expense does it. I don't think a chest shot animal would even notice !!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.