25 pronghorn or 25-300 wsm

• Thread starter Deleted member 98489
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 98489

Im going to build this rifle here in the next few weeks could anyone here give me some advice or tips
anyone here reload for this caliber ?

Would probably be a good idea to build it on a medium or long action (3.2" or longer overall length) if you plan on using the 131 ace, you would likely be limited on seating ability with this combo in a short action. Other than that, it should be a screamer.

im building it on a savage model 12 varmint short action because i had one not being used. i know this prob aint the best action to use but its what i had available

Well if your set on that particular cartridge, if you can, try to get a reamer with an appropriate throating so it will still feed when seated near the lands. You will loose some capacity/performance with bullet intrusion, but it's not the end of the world, you just won't gain as much from the extra capacity of the WSM. Or if your reamer specs are already set, you can either hope it shoots well with a significant jump, or plan on using it as a single shot. None of which are terrible, just not optimum.

i totally agree with ya. however this will be a single shot rifle
shooting 100 grain nosler ballistic tips

We are likely putting in an order of 50 shilens in 1:7 soon but a magnum like 25-300 WSM will need 1:7.75" to 1:8 to manage RPMS.

Butch who owns the Butch's Guns stores built a 25-300 WSM for a hunting rifle paired with the 131 ACE and it's surely going to lay the smack down on some stuff.

Butch can kill anything that walks with 6x47L so nothings going to stand a chance with a 25-300 WSM and a 0.345 G7 BC.

i ordered a 1:9 twist incase i ever decided i wanted to shoot a little heavier bullet.
was going to go with the 1:10 that shilen suggested on their website but guys at northland shooters talked me into a 1:9 instead..