.25 cal question

I have a 25-06 great cartridge. Years ago (think Savage) there was a 25WSSM and I thought that would be the ultimate. Wish I would have bought ome.
I have been shooting 25-06 for many years as a varmint rifle. The standard rifle has a 1:10 barrel twist. This is fine for 100 grain bullets or greater but I hand load with 75 to 90 grain max. About 20 years ago I barreled a cz mauser action with a Douglas air gage, 1:12 twist. With a 75 gr round I get about 3800 fps and 1/2" groups at 100 yards. If I want to use 117 or 120 gr I have a 257 Weatherby. Those two cover about every one of the newer cartridges in the 25 cal range. I have shot many prairie dogs with those two rifles. The 257 is excellent for pronghorn.

I built a .25X.307 AI in a stub Encore Barrel, great deer round out to 4-500yrds. Would love some high bc bullets as well.

Nope, my favorite 257 Roberts is built on a rem 788 action that was a 6 mm rem, it's the same action that they put a 308 in, still a short action

My understanding is most are built on long action, but there are some R700 Mountain rifles in SA. To take advantage of the BJ 131 and any other high BC bullets that come down the line I would think a LA would be the be the best bet to not hamstring yourself with bullets down in the case.

No the current 25s don't have great bc. Read up on BlackJack bullets. Now that they really got the ball rolling i think it's only a matter of time til the big names join in. I could be wrong- time will tell.

I think that Blackjack HAS gotten the ball rolling FINALLY!:) How many years did we wait while Berger overcharged us for their 115 gr. VLD and no one else got into the market. It certainty shifted many of the .25 caliber shooters away from all of those fields. Besides the bullets, now we have several new cases which can be modified for use with the quarter bores.

The older, established .25 caliber cases such as the .257 Roberts (AI) and the .250 Savage have fallen off the grid simply from lack of use and being ignored by manufacturers. The medium length 25's like the Roberts (x57) should inspire the action makers to push those medium length actions a little harder since that's where these cartridges work best. There are a couple making actions with boxes to accommodate the 3.2" length cartridges, Defiance being one of them.

The more discussions we generate, the more we contact the manufacturers asking about .25 caliber products, the more activity we should see. But we have to follow through by purchasing those products which meet our needs and desires or we will be ignored. Push on!:D

Why bother because a 243 is a necked down 308 from 7.62mm to 6mm and is also called 24 caliber and the difference is negligible
going to 25 caliber is just a stain on tooling and projectiles
Down under the 243 is my go to gun

Why bother because a 243 is a necked down 308 from 7.62mm to 6mm and is also called 24 caliber and the difference is negligible

Howdy Australia. I have to agree with you, especially given the quality of bullets available today. The 25s just don't currently have the ballistic coefficient available in 6 and 6.5 mm bullets. They could some day, but development has not been going in the direction of quarter inch bullets.

No- we don't need it! We want it! I know a lot of people love a 243 but I am not one of them. After putting four of them in a 200+ lb boar he got up and charged me. Kinda lost a little confidence in it after that. When it comes to deer hunting i have never heard another cartridge called Thors Hammer more than a 25/06.

morning, I have shot hogs big and small, deer, coyotes,
axis deer, goats and lots more. I have owned 6 243's.
never lost a game species shot with the berger 95gr.
VLD bullet. my present jewels r a 243AI and 6mmAI.
Winchester brass, fed. primers and 4831SC. stone cold
very accurate killers. on hogs head shots ONLY.
one shot--one kill
justme gbot tum

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.