• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

25-300 win mag reamer

Faster than my current 27 3/4" Hart barrel chambered in 25-300WSM. It's a 10-twist. I can get 3,700fps with the 90gr Absolute Hammers, with good brass life. H4350 or H4831SC. I can get 3,800fps if I only want 3 firings on the Norma 270 WSM cases before primer pockets are trashed.

You were probably running higher pressures. Or had an exceptionally fast barrel.
welp considering the 300 win mag has more case cap than the 270 wsm .. it doesn't surprise me your more efficient short case wont run with it 😁🤣 just funnin!!!! in the overbore world it pays too have fuel!!! that rifle wore a bench mark 26" 10 twist

Last edited:
welp considering the 300 win mag has more case cap than the 270 wsm .. it doesn't surprise me your more efficient short case wont run with it 😁🤣 just funnin!!!! in the overbore world it pays too have fuel!!! that rifle wore a bench mark 26" 10 twist

It shoots faster and farther than I can see.

Hahaha

that's all that matters
This barrel used to be a 25-300RUM. Even with the 10-twist barrel, it destroyed 115gr Burger VLDs at +3,900fps. Reluctantly, I was forced to lesser throttle. Thus the current 25-300 WSM.

Too much MV may force you into copper monos. Which isn't a bad thing. Just a little more expense incurred per bullet fired.

I ran one years ago and it would send 100 nos bt 3875fps with 7828. but the reamer was borrowed :(

i want too do an 8 tw for the bergers and heavier hammers around 3600 hopefully .. may just end up doing a 257 STW
Hey brother you are always coming up with some great ideas to get everyone thinking!
Hope all is well with you and your family!
What are you going to shoot with a 25-300 mag???
Definitely a great hunting caliber and cartridge depending on what is built.
We passed up on a few different 1/4 bore reamers because would maybe only use once or just sit in our cabinet? (would have bought them but too much $ )
Good choice between a 6mm and 6.5. I always wanted to build a .25 cal because of the sucess of the 257 Roberts with Deer.
Was going to build a 25-270wsm. Still thinking. Jill had a 25WSSM and it was great, but Browning/Winchester took it back for a repair and would not return. Was at the time when the companies were changing.. Wish we still had it. Better than a 25-06.
I might just have JGS make me a 25-270WSM (6.5-270wsm) reamer and Whidden make the Dies. Already have a PTG Throater so can make the chamber for different bullets depending on the barrel twist.
This would be a good SA rifle.
Now another option is the 25-284, but LA for heavy bullets.
THERE ARE SO MANY OPTINONS FOR THE 1/4 BORE.
How many caliber rifles do you need for hunting in North America or in fact anywhere on the planet with the exception of DANEROUS GAME per LAWS see that in AFRICA. Any good 30-33 caliber will take all animals in the Americas. We shoot .17HMR to .325WSM and a .338LMAI (target ELR). Realistically can kill anything on this planet with the calibers we have to include the .325WSM with the correct bullet and shot placement.
Anyone constructing a .25 -anything that is SA and Mag please post and let us know. Would like to make a (at least one). Need ballistics with twist rate, bullet weight/type and powders.
Thanks much to Elk Hunter - should be a very interesting thread. We already have a lot of information on LRH from other members and the internet.
God Bless
Len & Jill

6.5-300wm's shoot 140's about 3300fps in non RWS brass with Retumbo. In RWS brass I use to shoot 3265fps. I think I hit 3350 with N-570 but it's been a few years since I messed with it. I killed 4-5 elk with it and a deer at 1023yds and then went back to shooting .30's. The 6.5x68 Imp is almost identical in performance and capacity. The 35 degree shoulder lessens case stretch considerably though.

The 6-300WSM is pretty cool. It shot 105's at 3600fps. I haven't finished the 6PRC yet but I would expect 3400ish with 105's since it's pretty much a 6-284.

ha ha that's a good one.. it just gets old " I dont want it cuzz the barrel life will suffer" when was the last time honestly anyone on here ever actually/legitimately shot a hunting rifle barrel out?
I have burned out two barrels in my life both on varmint rifles. Odds of burning out a hunting type cartridge barrel is unlikely for me.

I have a 7mm Rem Mag reamer that I used to cut one chamber... Sent it back and had it reground to .25-7RM.. Cut one chamber with it for a guy and that's all it's been used.. It's a PPG, originally bought around 2004, reground last year.. $200 shipped -- in the lower 48.