25-06 for long range

lerch

<strong>SPONSOR</strong>
Well I have been going through some old posts and this seemed to be a fairly interesting topic and I just thought we might open it back up.

I have just got a new Savage 12bvss 25-06 and so far I am shooting moly coated 115gr Berger VLD's at around 3200fps. I am wondering what you all thought about this gun for 0-1000yd shooting. I am not interested in pushing it much past 1100 because that is Allen Mag country in my book. The gun has to stay factory so I can compete in some local events so AI or rebarreling faster twist is a no go.

I have some Wildcat 125gr bullets on the way which should kick some serious butt if they will shoot. So far the Bergers are grouping around 1/2-3/4 in most my loads. They are seated .020 in the lands.

Tell me what you think.

Thanks
Steve

Lerch, when you get them (125) let me know. I have some coming also. I would be interested in swapping load data and any other observations on the bullets.
Sean

I was interested in load data for the 110g or 115g VLD for my 25-06. I was also wanting to shoot possibly out to 1000, but more en likely 800. My 25-06 is a Winchester Model 70 and it really loves H-4831 and 117g SBT's, but they are slow at 3,040fps but very accurate, 1/4" @100 yards is the normal. I would like to use the 115g with the added BC and try to push the velocity up around 3200fps. It would shoot a lot flatter and hit a little harder. Anyone use these on deer, if so how far and the results? Were they like a 100g SMK?

I also shoot an old Model 70 .25-06, but I have always shot the lighter weights in it. I shoot 85 gr BT at 3700 fps and 100 gr BT at 35xx. I wonder what the 110 AB/115 BT would do?

Depends on your twist.

A 85 BT at 3700 gives you about 26 MOA needed to connect at 1K. Energy &lt;300 ftlb and 50" wind drift with a 5 mph wind change.

A 115 Berger at 3100 fps also gives you about 26 MOA needed to connect at 1K. Remaining energy about 600 ft lb and 33" wind drift with a 5mph wind change.

Bigger for cal (higher BC)is most definately better the farther out you go. Up and until the point that you run out of barrel twist for the bullet.

I have been making chucks dance back and forth for the last couple of weeks. The ones I don't get generally get dust in their eyes or a puff to the tail. I wish woodchucks were a foot longer.....on both ends.

I'm interested in the bullet imprint at 1K with the Berger 115's and Savage combo, any keyholes? I sure could use the extra .07 BC. Also any online places with them in stock? Sinclair backordered last time I checked.

Thanks

Got my bergers from midway.

I just got some Wildcat 125's yesterday. Will try them this weekend and see if they stabilize.

Thanks
Steve

Lerch,

I am still waiting on mine. Hoping to get them so I can do load development this weekend. What is your barrel twist?

1-10 so lets keep our fingers crossed and they stabilize. I think I am gonna try h4350 and Reloader 22 in it.

Steve

Bucknutz
I saw that on their site. That was a nice score. Did you get a mantle trinket or just a dump truck load of money for first place?

Congratulations.

$$$ and a nice sticker, but i didn't stick around to get it.september 11th is the last shoot,i'll let it ride and cover that bill /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.the 120gr wildcats are grouping as good,but about 6-8" lower at 500yds.i cant get the velocity they need,a 1-10 =tw at a touch above 2900fps.an AI or weatherby will be what they need. i am watching this post to see what's up with the above results???

I have a question for some of you that go along with this title: What bullet would you suggest on whitetail deer from my Savage 110FP out to 600 yards? Right now I am reloading using 100g SMK with 52g IMR-4350. I have shot two deer with this load and I have some destructive damage on the deer. I don't think this load will be good at great distances, so what bullet would you suggest? Would the 115g VLD work great on whitetails out to 600 yards?

Knappy

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.