25-06 bullet question

N2TRKYS

I've been shooting 120 grain Corelokts in my 25-06 for the last few years. I've been thinking about trying some 110 grain Accubonds or 100 grain TTSX. Anybody have any experience with these bullets? How do they perform on deer?

love the 100grn tsx. Im pushing it with 55grns of RL-22 somewhere around 3250-3300fps and super accurate. It is a killer. Shot a small deer in the heart with it just a week ago at 105yrds. Entrance wound tore a 3" hole and exited making a 2" hole. Deer ran ten yards and all his blood was gone. Yet not over damaging meat like a fragmenting bullet. Last year shot a monster deer with a 200lb frame quartering away hard. Hit back behind the last rib and exited just in front of the opposite shoulder. Deer was DRT. even though I went through a little bit of gut it was one of the cleanest kills I've made. Not much meat damage at all and just a pencil size hole through the gut and quarter sized exit. They drop hogs too :)

I have a rem 700 cdl in 25-06 and it did not stabilize, or only marginally stabilized, the 120 gr corelokt's. I shot 117 hornady sst's and it did pretty well for factory ammo (2 deer and an antelope) I now reload 110 accubonds over imr 4831 for a muzzle velocity of just about 3100 fps. I took the safety off one time last year and it was in the final hours of the season but it put a big mulie buck down at 350 yards with gusto. He moved maybe 10 yards. I really like the accubonds, do not have any experience with Barnes bullets.

Shot a few deer with the 110 Accubonds, and they perform great if you put the bullet into the lungs, and not into the shoulder.

The Berger 115 VLD's would also be a great option. I used them in my .257 Wby, and I still use them in my .25-06 AI.

They are both good bullets. Would pick the one that shoots best in your rifle. I lean toward the Accubond. I have killed more with it. Longest was 350 yard antelope. Bullet passed thru, took out the top of the heart and part of the lungs. Antelope took about 4 steps.

110 Gr accubond is awesome. But so is the 117r SST. and the 100r Partition. Surely the tsx 100 grain is great too. I think its more about how awesome the 25-06 caliber is than the individual bullet. x2 on picking what shoots best. my dilemma is that teverythign shoots best through my cooper which makes the choice that much harder. This year I may just take the 100 gr partition to the field and leave the other 2 at home. Its a hammer
SnT

I run an almost identical load to lightfoot, its a scorcher and it knocks em down right. On the flipside, I've killed a couple heavy Missouri bucks with that load facing straight on and haven't had a bullet exit with the 100gr TTSX. I my opinion, when the bullet doesn't exit and the deer flops over dead, there isn't a better bullet for the job.

25-06 100 gr. TTSX

Lung shot 75 yards didn't take a step.

I have also used the 100 TTSX out of my 257 Weatherby up to 450 yds with similar results.

Attachments

• mom 1.jpg
    mom 1.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 96
I run the 110 AB's with a load of RL-19 through my factory Rem 700. Bang/flops are pretty consistent. If your rifle shoots them well, run with it.

I have shot everything from coues deer to elk with 115gr nosler BT. They work just fine, never had any issue with them. I run them at around 3000fps. Accubonds hold together a little better shoot just as good. My advice if you are going to run them faster than 3000 ish use a high retention bullet. I have notice the bt's and accubonds tend to come apart on contact when you push them 3100+.

I've used the standard Barnes Vortx .25-06 100 Gr TTSX load for two years now in my Weatherby Vanguard S2 and it has consistently performed for me on Wyoming Antelope, Texas whitetails, hogs, and coyotes from 75 to 408 yards. Most were bang/flops with one high lung hit pronghorn being the exception, but she expired very rapidly. Violent expansion, awesome wound channel. Just pay attention to your velocities and charts, they do not perform well under 2000 FPS which in my .25-06 is just at 550 yards, about as long as I would attempt a shot anyhow. Accuracy is just under .75 MOA in my rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.