25-06 Ackley

Brambles

Maybe this has been gone over before?? The search function came up with nothing so here it goes.

Another rifle being built, having it chambered in 25-06 AI, mainly because its an inherited rifle and something I can't get rid of so I figured I"d make it something special.

I have a 280 AI so I'm familiar with the fireforming side of the Ackley cartridges

What do you guys have to say about this cartridge, I'm curious to hear your opinions, and do you have any reloading data that you wouldn't mind passing on.

Barrel length will be 24 inches
Bullet will most likely be 100 gr TSX or TTSX but I will also try Accubonds up to 120's

Thanks

Brambles

Brambles ,

I have a barrel sitting in the closet [.257 rockcreek 26" fluted] that will go on my 25-06 rem 700 -providing the thing ever stops shooting great.
Berger 115's will be my bullet of choice -then 108 jlk's -then 115 nbt's .

Don't have any loads to offer but my plan is to use hodgdon x-treme powders in all my rifles.
I'm going to root around for some loads.
Good luck w/ the project.-Mike

My 25-06 AI is a Stevens 200 with a Douglas Air Guage and it shoots 115 grain Berger VLD's real good. As I recall I am using 60.0 grains of R22 (I DO NOT RECOMMEND YOU USE THE LOAD I AM USING!!!) which pushes that bullet at about 3375 fps at the muzzle.

Again that load is somewhat above max resulting in a hot load, so start low and work your way.

It seems to me the faster I push that bullet the closer the bullets land to each other at 100 and 200 meters.

The only critter I have killed with it is speed goat at just over 300 yards on a slow run - rolled up and took a dirt nap.

Have fun.

Rick

Im going to build a 25-06 AI this year myself. the only printed info I can find is from sierra reloading manual. there are other reloader sites with some listed. Im going with the 26" barrel with the 1-10 twist. temped to go with a 1-9. because of the longer heavier bullets 100-120. it should shoot almost like a 257 weatherby. I cant find the p.o. ackley book for sale.gun)

Mark 308 Are you looking for the books that Ackley put out with reloading information and some loads in them. You can get the Ackley Handbook for Shooters in both volume One and Two from Brownells (1-800-741-0015 or Brownells - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools)
Since I don't shoot anything larger than Kansas Whitetails and the range is usually 400yds or closer I have always gotten along with the Nosler 100 grain Ballistic tips, a lot of pros and cons to these bullets but I have never had anything but good luck with them.
In my rifle I worked up a fireform load with RL25 that gives me an average of 3500 with the 100 grain bullets and once fireformed I switch to H1000. It gives me good speed, very good accuracy and fills the case. There are a lot of powders that work good in a 25-06 AI.

thanks for the feedback. I will contact them and get the books. It doesnt hurt to have good information. after this gun I hope to get built one of those 338 canyon blasters or at least a hot 7mm, maybe a kirby allen. gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.