25-06 115gr berger question

joshua99ta

I loaded up some 115 grn bergers w/ 51 grs of IMR 4350 with either CCI BR2 or 200 primers(dont have the info handy, im at work), and put em right off the lands, in my 700 sps w/ nothing but a floated barrel and lightened the trigger up a little.

I dialed it in @ 100 yards dead on. But the thing I found @ 100yrds was that this load shoots about 3.5-4" high and about 4" right @ 100 yards over federal factory ammo w/ 110 gr accubonds.

does this sound right that these bullets are doing this over the factory ammo?

I also took it out and shot it out to 550 yards and ended up dialing up 6 or 6.5 moa and 2 moa left to get it on target. even then it was still about 1 moa low and right and I ended up running out of rounds to finish dialing it back in and had to go get more bullets and stuff so needless to say I'm back offshore and havent had a chance to shoot again.

I also picked up some hornady 117 sst's and 110gr accubonds and some h4831 and imr 4831 powder also. Gunna try to give some of these rounds a shot Thursday evening and shoot em up Friday.

It is an oddity that two different loads with even the same bullet weight will shoot exactly to the same point of aim. Even changing just the primer brand can move your point of impact with a load. You need to find your most accurate load and then dial the scope to it. Berger bullets will shoot very accurately but you need to find the sweet spot as to seating depth. They shoot great jammed but if you are hunting with the rifle you DON"T WANT JAMMED BULLETS. Bergers shoot just as accurate waaaaaaaaaay off the lands also. Go to the top of the page in either this thread or the bullets and barrels thread and read how to seat Berger bullets. I have killed more deer with the 25-06 than hoof and mouth disease and the plain Jain Sierra 117 gr Pro Hunter is my go to bullet. Accurate, cheap and kills them dead in their tracks most of the time.

I did find that the 51grn loads shot better than the lower power loads, didnt go over 51 yet.

I'll try some different lengths and see what happens.

It shoots about 1moa w/ the load I have been shooting out of it, which I was just thinking thats about all its gunna do being a pretty much factory stock thats just junk IMO, I can bed but I dont like the feel of it from the get go so ima swap it out soon, just gotta figure out what I wanna put on it. I'll eventually put a new barrel and have the action worked too. BUT I dont wanna do that just yet.

no matter WHAT these bergers do shoot a helluva lot better than the nosler e-tips that I originally picked up for this rifle.

Sorry Joshua, I'm not getting a clear picture here. Did you sight in @ 100yds with Federal factory (110gn AccuBond)?, and then tried the Bergers and they were 3.5-4" high and 4" right? JohnnyK.

that is correct johnnyK

im kind of new to this stuff.

I had gotten into it over a year ago and just kind of strayed away for a while... but im back in the grease now

Might be a totally different powder in the factory ammo. I am using 54 gr of H4831SC and getting .5 MOA out to 500 yds. I have mine loaded right at the lands. The H4831 that you picked up will be the same as H4831SC so you can load it the same. Don't start at the 54 gr that I am using though. Start lower and work your way up to see what your fun likes. You will find that those 115 gr bergers work well with that powder. Mine did.

If u had to come up at distance, it's probably because ur factory rounds had a higher velocity than ur reloads.

Last edited:
Same here with the 117 Sierra and 4831, not real hot, but cold barrel consistent as the tide and sunrise. E-tips are funny critters. The 7 Rem mag loves 'em, the .25-06's not yet.

I use to use H-4831sc but found Retumbo works better .005 into the lands....seems to like a stiff charge with either powder

I loaded up some 115 grn bergers w/ 51 grs of IMR 4350 with either CCI BR2 or 200 primers(dont have the info handy, im at work), and put em right off the lands, in my 700 sps w/ nothing but a floated barrel and lightened the trigger up a little.

I dialed it in @ 100 yards dead on. But the thing I found @ 100yrds was that this load shoots about 3.5-4" high and about 4" right @ 100 yards over federal factory ammo w/ 110 gr accubonds.

does this sound right that these bullets are doing this over the factory ammo?

I also took it out and shot it out to 550 yards and ended up dialing up 6 or 6.5 moa and 2 moa left to get it on target. even then it was still about 1 moa low and right and I ended up running out of rounds to finish dialing it back in and had to go get more bullets and stuff so needless to say I'm back offshore and havent had a chance to shoot again.

I also picked up some hornady 117 sst's and 110gr accubonds and some h4831 and imr 4831 powder also. Gunna try to give some of these rounds a shot Thursday evening and shoot em up Friday.
I can see you're kinda new to this stuff. But just to clue you in. Once you sight your gun in doesn't mean it's sighed in for good. It means it's sighted in for that load, and that bullet. Different bullets will impact at differing POI's (Points of Impact) on the target. Which is why when you swap up bullets, or adjust your load, you will want to re-sight in your gun for that load and bullet.

It has been in my experience with the 25-06 that they want to really shoot well right on the ragged edge of MAX loads with about any suitable powder.

I am working a load right now . My rifle is a Savage 112 fvss. So far I have tried Retumbo and IMR4831. I would like to try some IMR4350 also. I have had my best results with Retumbo 58 grains and 58.5 grains is right around .75 moa. I always have the first two touching and the third shot jumps about .5 or a little more from the first two. I bought a new stock and pillars . I am going to try to pillar and glass bed the stock this weekend.

I'm hoping this tightens the group up a little. I am seating .020 jump with a fed 215m . I used a fed 210 when I shot the 4831. Not sure of the speed as I haven't shot any through my chronograph. I am hoping 3150 plus with my 26 inch barrel.

Hi Lee
My Savage shot the same way, two touching n one half inch to 3/4 inch off :(....I went with the choate stock and still same results.....Then I started jamming .005 into the lands (Berger 115 VLD) problem went away....Im using 60 gr of Retumbo cci primer and getting around 3250 fps....chrony showed 3207 but shooting distance (600yrds) the validation calculator came up with 3275.....this load is shooting less than 1/2 moa :)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts