243AI vs 243

Ath, I recently purchased a 243 Ackley and well, I'm in love. 115 BN coated DTAC's @ 3200 fps from a 30" Broughton 8 twist. This thing shoots beyond my wildest dreams the last two groups I fired went .19" & .22". I was told this rifle was a consistent 1/2 moa shooter but I think he was being conservative (Thanks Scott).

I fire formed (per the Boss Hoss / Speedy method) the first 50 Lapua brass which turned out perfect I might add. Then I decided to use loads that were 2 grains less than full house and they are just as accurate. It seems that I shoot more if I have loaded rounds to fire.....fire forming is not the most exciting thing to do and if you are going to make that much noise you might as well be slinging bullets.

There are thre ways I know to form AI brass. Easiest is to load a mid level load in the parent case with a heavier bullet, and shoot it. You can load these on your AI dies. Second way is to use a small amount of pistol powder such as Unique, then fill the case with unique, and cap with some toilet paper and paraffin wax, point up and shoot. Probably the best way to save barrel life is to get some hydraulic forming dies, where the case is filled with oil and then you hit it with a hammer, forcing the case to stretch under the pressure so it fills the die.

The 6mm AI is a heck of a cartridge and you can neck down high quality 7x57 brass if you feel that it is necessary.

I assume you meant fill with cream of wheat, not fill with unique ;)

Thanks for the information, I'm going to file this for next year when I need it.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.